Boys soccer sport short: Parlier

BOYS’ SOCCER SPORT SHORTS, 2014-15
(Scrimmages do not count toward win/loss record. Visit the Sports Section for boys’ soccer features). For a simple overview of scores and upcoming games, check the Winter sport box scores, 2014-2015, for dates, opponents and times for all Eagle sports.

Be sure to visit the 2014-15 boys’ soccer schedule, home page, or check out Maxpreps.com. FC is currently 1-8-1 in the West Sequoia League and overall 2-15-1 as of Feb. 19.

Team suffers disappointing loss, Jan. 20

IMG_4481 copy
[/media-credit] Sophomore Jared Markarian takes a break before a corner kick.

As the FC boys soccer team warmed up on the field, the Parlier Panthers Senior Night ceremony began. Ten minutes later both teams were in place and fans were eager for the start of the game.

Both teams came out ready for a fight, both fighting for possesion of the ball. While the Eagles playing style is to steal the ball and attack, the Panthers focus on retaining the ball and slowly moving up the field though passing. This mean that the Eagles tended to be on defense for the majority of the game. Both teams had an equal amount of chances on goal, yet the first half remained 0-0.

At the start of the second, again, both teams came out ready for a fight, wanting the win. Yet the Eagles defense was first to make their mistake, and the Panthers scored two points within ten minutes. But the the Eagles retaliated with two of their own, bringing the score one again to a tie. The showdown continued but once again the defense let a final shot slip by, giving the Panthers the lead within the final few minutes of the game. The Eagles lost with a finals score of 3-2.

Senior and outside mid Jordan Castro believed the team played well and with a passion and that the win was within the teams grasp

“We almost had that win,” Castro said. “We played hard, despite the final outcome and the defense just et one too many goals by them. Hopefully we can fix this and face the upcoming teams with renewed vigor.”

Junior and midfielder Davis Borrego thought he and the team played to the best of there ability and just got unlucky.

“We played a great game,” Borrego said. “We played hard and the Panthers just slipped in a final goal within the last few minutes of the game. We just need to continue on to the last game and not let this loss get into our heads.”

For more sports read the Feb. 12 article, Boys soccer sport short: Minarets.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter.