Former campus teacher reflects FC experience

[/media-credit] After teaching on campus for two years, alumnus Eric Witters, ’04, is now teaching history at Madera South High School.
At the beginning of this school year the FC campus was missing a former campus teacher, campus lifer and graduate (’04) and rambunctious soul: Eric Witters. Witters did not return to the staff for the 2014-’15 school year, instead he was hired at Madera South High School as a history teacher.

The lack of Witters’ impact not only in the classroom but in the hallways and on the basketball court can be felt by many students.

Many of his students are now freshman and have taken what they learned from Witters and incorporated it into their everyday actions in class. Devin Pitts, ’18, expounded upon what he learned from Witters.

“He was able to keep his classes entertained all the time,” Pitts said. “His methods were unusual but effective and thats why I enjoyed his classes so much. Some of the time in class I was in trouble but he helped me learn how to act correctly in a classroom.”

Even though many hope and pray for the return of “King Eric” their dreams will most likely never be realized. In today’s age of over staffed schools, Witters is a thankful for having a job at the moment.

“I will most likely stay in the public school system,” Witters said. “The job market is very sparse and it is not easy to pick and choose what schools you would like to teach at.”

Witters has gained recognition within his new school for being an innovative teacher. His incorporation of Apple devices and electronically studied material have set him apart from other teachers.

“Many of the techniques that I implement are ones that I learned while teaching at FC,” Witters said. “I value the two year experience in teaching that I had at FC and all of the great people that I learned from.”

Someone fit to judge the innovativeness of very different schools and cultures is Witters, he has taught at very diverse schools such as Kings Canyon Junior High School, FC and now Madera South High School.

Every school has the same goal, to educate their students and create well rounded individuals.

“Larger schools are just the same as small schools,” Witters said. “We are all trying to find the best way to motivate the students and develop tomorrow’s leaders.”

Without the guidance and teaching of dedicated individuals our future would be a bleak one. The motivation to help others become more than they ever dreamed of is what keeps Witters going, it is what he lives for.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @2015_Beal.

For more features, read the March 3 article, WWII Veteran receives long awaited medal.