FC hits NY: Day 5 (SLIDESHOW)

Editors1
[/media-credit] Feather editors Ryan King, Chloe Mueller, Rees Roggenstein and Sara Peterson bask in the glow of a CSPA Digital Gold Crown while at Columbia University, March 20.

Since arriving in New York, the staff have awaited this moment with nausea. Hoping that they could once again grab the Columbia Scholastic Press Association Digital Gold Crown at the 91st annual convention and continue the winning streak. The team began the day with hope in their eyes.

Just like every other day, the team straggled into the lobby where the students met and then left to their various destination. Today their trip to Columbia University and find out their fate. Editors-in-Chiefs Sara Peterson and Chloe Mueller led a class early in the morning, while the rest of team like previous days attended the other various lectures by prominent figures within the journalistic society.

After the first class, the team decided to rest and work on the ever needy Feather. Students took this opportunity to rest in the lounges around the college. Finally the moment arrived, the editors filed into the auditorium where their fate rested.

Because of the over 2,600 students and 299 schools in attendance, the names of the winners were rattled off in an alphabetical order. The team waited with faces tense and eyes glued to the screen, their time came and went, the Feather had not been called, all the editors turned in shock and confusion.

However, God has a since of humor known only to himself. The association misplaced The Feather in the line-up, and ten minutes later were called to the front of the auditorium.

The team headed outside to find snow piling upon itself, increasing the joy of their seven-month accomplishment. The entirely new team had pulled it off; they won a Gold Crown, proving that anybody with a heart can make it to the top. After taking numerous photos out in the snow of this terrific event for the school and the program, the team headed back for some rest.

After making it back to the hotel, students split off and took a rest in preparation for a celebratory dinner, all fees paid for. Joyful and excited, the team rested and headed off to dinner. The last day touring New York was over and their time to leave had come. For a final time, students will once again rise early, but this time to head back home.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @Josh_Carter.

For more news, read the March 19 article, FC hits NY: Day 4 (SLIDESHOW).