Scott Bucher joins FC community

[/media-credit] Scott Bucher taught four courses at Immanuel High School for over 25 years.

Scott Bucher is one of the new staff members to join the FC staff. Bucher joined the team as the new chemistry and AP calculus teacher.

After only six weeks of being a staff member, students are already excited about the upcoming year. His chemistry students feel very prepared, safe, and excited to do future experiments.

Chemistry student, Tyler Villines, ’18, shows an interest in the class and his new teacher.

“Mr Bucher is a great Chemistry teacher, by far the best science teacher in my life,” Villines said. “Because of the way he interacts with the kids, he make funny subtle comments and the way he explains things like going from this is this because of this, and that makes everything makes everything easier and makes more sense. The best part of the class is when he shows his demos. Even the labs are always fun, but he even makes notes fun because he does demos to help us understand or notes better. Having to to do tedious lab write out is by far my least favorite part of my class.”

Before coming to FC, Bucher was a teacher at Immanuel High School. He taught four different courses and had been teaching them for 25 years. Bucher embraces the challenge of teaching multiple subjects. He says that if he taught only one subject, it would become boring saying the same thing over and over.

Bucher realizes the differences between Immanuel and FC. FC is a smaller more compact campus while Immanuel is big and spread out. There are more teaching rooms at Immanuel which provides an easier way to multiple courses. However, Bucher left Immanuel due to changes that made it more difficult for him to teach his courses.

​I am happy to have him join our staff and I know that he is definitely added-value to our science and math departments.–Amy Deffenbacher, FC Principal

“There are a lot of things that I like about Fresno Christian. Obviously it is wonderful to teach in a Christian environment – to be able to integrate my faith with the subject matter. The administration is supportive and encouraging and the atmosphere at the school is very positive and uplifting.

“I enjoy the chapels, and I really appreciate the commitment the school has to student leadership,” Bucher continued. “The thing I like the most is that the administration allows me (and the other teachers) to teach in the way that works best for me.”

The staff at FC is excited to have Bucher on board. They believe that he is a great addition to the team. Principal Amy Deffenbacher values his experience, commitment to excellence, and his fresh set of eyes on the program.

IMG_5172-r
[/media-credit] Scott Bucher decided to become a teacher after receiving several compliments about his instructional talents.

“​I am happy to have him join our staff,” Deffenbacher said. “And I know that he is definitely added-value to our science and math departments.”

Although a great and experienced teacher today, Bucher did not always want to be a teacher. He noticed that he began to develop the skills earlier however and took to action.

When I was in high school I began teaching a junior high sunday school class,” Bucher said. “In college I taught the high school Sunday school class; after that I have always taught whatever Sunday school class I am in.”

College is where he began to seek advice for his future. Bucher consulted his mentors, parents, friends and pastors about his upcoming career. Without a single exception, all said that he should pursue teaching.

In preparation, Bucher received a degree in science and worked as an electrical engineer for six years. And then he felt ready to go back to school and get his teaching credential.

Josiah Weimer, ‘16, is a new student to FC and has Scott Bucher as his AP calculus teacher. Weimer is enjoying the class and his experiences with his teacher.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/227339524″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

“I really enjoy having Mr. Bucher as my math teacher,” says Weimer, “He is a very competent teacher that I enjoy being around, because he is friendly.”

This will be Scott Bucher’s 30th year of teaching. Throughout all these years of passing knowledge onto others, Bucher has found hobbies in a few things. Outside of teaching, Bucher enjoys gardening, reading, bicycle riding and fixing things.

To learn more about other teachers coming to FC, click here.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email [email protected]