One Simple Thread, No. 1- Periods and Commas

I remember the year I made the varsity cheerleading team; I was only a sophomore in high school. Sadly, it was also the year the crowd I ran with decided I wasn’t in their crowd anymore. I made it and they didn’t.

Suddenly, I was friendless with not much to cheer about. It felt like the end of my world–the great period at the end of an awful sentence.

20150930-andi-blog-

It would be an understatement to say that my tenth grade year was tough. But then, it had been tough for me ever since I moved to America from South Africa during my fifth grade year. The area we moved to was a rural and the people were wary of outsiders, but they underestimated me. I’m a fighter, and they weren’t going to knock me down so easily.

The locals tried to demean me, but I wasn’t so easily discouraged. When they signed a petition against me because an African had made the cheerleading team, I was undeterred. Or the time the basketball coach bullied me in front of a gymnasium full of people, I still stood tall.

Did these things really happen? Yes. Do they still happen today? Sadly, they do, and many times they are worse. All of them feel like the dreaded period at the end of the sentence that says, “Life as you know it is over. PERIOD.”

Do I believe in an enemy of our souls? Oh you bet I do! I’ve dealt with the liar long enough to know his schemes and long enough to know how much he loves periods. More importantly, I believe in God. Not the God some people preach who is always angry and waiting for you to fail, but rather the God who opens His arms to you as if to say, “Come here kid, let me wipe those tears away and teach you about commas.”

periods-and-commas

“… Many are saying of my soul, there is no salvation for him in God.” PERIOD.

“But you (COMMA) O Lord (COMMA) are a shield about me (COMMA) my glory (COMMA) and the lifter of my head (PERIOD) Psalm 3:1-2

What are many saying about your soul?

“You will never beat this addiction.”

“You will always struggle with your identity.”

“You will never have purpose.”

My friends, somebody may have labeled your life with a period, but do not discount the God of the comma. He will never place the final period until He has been your shield, your glory, and the lifter of your head. Trust me on this one. He has done it for me time and again. Or take it from Gracie Allen who said, “Never place a period where God has placed a comma.” Never.

To read more From Andi, visit One Simple Thread. In order to keep up with The Feather blogs, check out Feather blog home page.