Football sport short: Kings Christian (Podcast)

20151019-FC-Football-006
[/media-credit] The Eagles prepare to hike the ball in the game versus the Kings Christian Crusaders.

The Eagles played their rivals, Kings Christian, Oct. 9. FC has been unsuccessful playing Kings Christian. In the last two years Kings has beaten the Eagles four times, including two Valley championships. The team was looking forward to playing their rival and change what has been an brutal two years.

The team started on defense and shut down the offense. The Eagles got the ball on their 33-yard line, after a failed fourth down conversion. They ran the ball almost every play on the first drive, and only one pass for two yards. After a 15-yard run by senior Tyler Breedlove and a few big runs by running back Chris Kollenkark, the Eagles scored. The score was 6-0 after a two-yard by Kollenkark and a failed two-point conversion.

The Eagles had four different people score. Quarterback Tyler Villines and Kollenkark powered the offense. The team had 300 rushing yards and six touchdowns. Kollenkark had 101 yards and three touchdown, Vilines had 87 yards with two touchdowns and one more touchdown ran by junior Timothy Melendez. FC did not throw much but Villines had 56 passing yards with one touchdown and two interceptions. Breedlove led the team receiving with a touchdown.

[fusion_soundcloud url=”https://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/228680443″ params=”auto_play=false&hide_related=false&show_comments=true&show_user=true&show_reposts=false&visual=true” width=”100%” height=”150″ iframe=”true” /]

The defense planned on playing with intensity and playing fundamentally sound. FC had four sacks and one forced a fumble. Kings Christian had a tough time moving the ball against the defense. Besides the fumble there was three other turnovers. Senior Bailey Brogan intercepted the quarterback three times. Overall the defense had 60 tackles with junior Daniel Ayres earning 15 of them.

The defense had four turnovers and three of those were interceptions by Brogan.

20151019-FC-Football-008
[/media-credit] Sophomore Tyler Villines sprints down the field, and making a touchdown after running ten more yards.

“The team played really well last Friday,” Brogan said. “We shut them down on defense and our offense had a great game putting up 55 points. I played pretty well on defense, had one of my best games with 3 interceptions.The game plan for the homecoming game is just to make sure we play up to our level and not take the game too lightly.”

Offensive coordinator Mike Zamarripa thinks the offense played good but can play even better.

“The offense played well,” Zamarripa said. “We missed a few plays that could have scored but overall I was happy. I expected the team to come out strong and I think they did. This weeks game plan will be to win the turnover battle and execute the offense by attacking space.”

No photographers were present for this game, all pictures are from the Riverdale Christian match.

For more football articles, check out Football sport short: Trinity Christian.