Houts provides example, inspiration for basketball team

20151210-fc-boys-basketball-037
[/media-credit] Senior Justin Houts serves as a solid leader for the boys varsity basketball team.

In the world of sports, hardworking athletes can become the difference between a winning and a losing season. This presence of work ethic often spreads to other players, making the team more efficient as a whole. Even a single player who truly pushes the limits of his abilities can mean the difference in a game. Senior Justin Houts provides an example of what true effort looks like on the basketball court, inspiring other players to strive harder for success.

Houts focuses on being the hardest worker on the court throughout any given game, and recognizes this trait as one of his most valuable assets. He remarks about his characteristics as a team leader as well as his unique duties due to his positions as center and occasionally power forward.

“I think my contribution to the team is a hard work ethic and always playing strong,” Houts said. “We obviously have a lot of guys who can shoot better than me, are faster, or can dribble better, but I never get outhustled under the rim.”

An athlete who loves his sport and the team on which he plays often becomes very attached to the progress that his team makes. Playing at the level that Houts does, emotional highs and lows often abound throughout the season. Basketball coach Jon Penberthy is one of the many who has noticed the intensity with which Houts plays. He comments positively about Houts’ development as a player so far.

“Justin, being one of one or two seniors on the team brings a lot of experience,” Penberthy said. “He brings a lot of toughness to our team. His work ethic is what really pushes our team to be better.”

One reason Houts hustles each game is because of his natural desire to win. His aggressive nature drives him to approach each challenge with gusto.

“My favorite thing about the sport of basketball is getting to come and compete,” Houts said. “I’m very competitive, so I love it when we get to go head to head with other teams.”

As a fellow senior on the basketball team, Tyler Breedlove respects Houts both for his athleticism and his leadership abilities. He reveals his perspective on Houts’ important role on the basketball team.

Justin’s performance on the court so far this year has been pivotal. Breedlove said. Justin being our tallest player, his job is to get rebounds and score near the basket, and he has done that very well. Justin leads by example for the younger guys. He’s been a four year varsity player, and they look up to him for that reason. — Tyler Breedlove

“Justin’s performance on the court so far this year has been pivotal,” Breedlove said. “Justin being our tallest player, his job is to get rebounds and score near the basket, and he has done that very well. Justin leads by example for the younger guys. He’s been a four year varsity player, and they look up to him for that reason.”

High energy sports such as basketball often produce riveting tales of personal progress or defeat that stick with a devoted athlete for the rest of their life. As a player with four years of varsity experience under his belt, Houts remembers many basketball related stories, but one stands out in his mind. Standing at a towering six feet four inches, Houts can use his height uniquely on the basketball court.

“My favorite basketball memory is the first time I ever slam dunked,” Houts said. “It was my freshman year, and Ernie Beal (my friend Trevor’s dad) bet me $100 on whether or not I could dunk. I felt my adrenaline pumping, and I ran up and jumped higher than I ever had before. By the end of the practice, not only had I dunked, but I also had a new hundred dollar bill in my pocket. I learned that day that if I applied myself to the sport of basketball, I could accomplish what I hadn’t currently thought possible.”

Every coach has expectations that they anticipate their finest players will meet. Coach Penberthy runs over the high level of results that he wants from Houts.

“What we expect out of Justin is a maximum effort every time he’s on the court,” Penberthy said. “He does that, and his teammates follow. He knows that, and he follows through with that really well.”

20151210-fc-boys-basketball-018
[/media-credit] Hout’s personal goal is for the team to compete in the Selland Arena.

Many great athletes aspire to achieve high honors in their chosen sport, and Houts is no exception. He believes that himself and the rest of the basketball team have the ability to reach one of his most coveted goals this season.

“I would love to see us in Selland arena this year.” Houts said. “That’s always been a goal of mine to play there, and this is the last year to make it happen. Hopefully we can make it and be on that big stage.”

The basketball team’s record is currently 3-4 overall. Follow their progress as they go on to play Atwater in the Hoover High Tournament next and continue to strive to meet their ultimate goal of winning a playoff game in Selland arena.

This author can be reached via Twitter: @Andrew_Mooooore and via email: Andrew Moore.

For more sports profiles, read Senior brings enthusiasm, stealth to the soccer field.