Paul McCartney gives fiery performance at Fresno concert

20160414-Paul-McCartney-001
[/media-credit] Paul McCartney performs live at the Save Mart Center with a full house, April 13.

Almost everyone knows about The Beatles and former member Paul McCartney. Fans from all around the globe wait for their turn to see him live for the One on One tour. Wednesday night McCartney appeared at the Fresno Save Mart Center for the first stop of his North America performances.

The show started off with songs such as “Cant Buy Me Love” and “My Valentine”, dedicated to his wife Linda McCartney who attended the performance. He pointed out his wife and daughter when a song written with them in mind came up, and made sure everyone knew who it was for.

McCartney took a few moments during the show to look back through the memories of past songs with friends such as John Lennon and George Harrison. He played “Something” on the ukulele as a tribute to Harrison, and the crowd cheered for a full minute at the mention of Lennon’s name. For his old friend John, McCartney performed “Here Today”, written two years after Lennon’s death the lyrics are a conversation they might have shared.

A few fans holding signs got the opportunity of a lifetime when McCartney brought them on stage. One of those lucky fans held a sign saying he was named after the song “Hey Jude”, and asked if Paul might sign his mother. He happily obliged, and autographed the shoulder of the mother in question.

photo.PNG
[/media-credit] Along with the singing, the special effects and fiery explosions made the show one to remember for years to come.

For costume changes, only one occurred at the beginning of the show when Paul took off his jacket. However, the special effects and fiery explosions made up for the lack of clothing changes. During “Live and Let Die” fire shot up from both the front of the stage and the back where McCartney played piano.

The show was pretty-much seamless, however early on in the show, the background noises and instruments drowned out the actual singing. This problem was cleared up relatively fast and everything continued without a hitch. It did not impact the performance hugely but being able to hear the song lyrics is always a good thing.

He seemed to genuinely enjoy interacting with members of the audience and making comments directly to those holding signs. One audience member held a sign up saying her eighteenth birthday was that day and Paul responded by singing a song especially for her.

The lines to get inside went back into the parking lot and around the sides of the building, as everyone wanted to get to their seats and prepare for the experience of a lifetime. A majority of the people waiting in line wore grey Beatles T-Shirts and seemed to be around the same age group of 50.

Not to say young people did not join in on the event, as several teenagers mixed in the crowd with just as much excitement and energy. After entering the building, the lines did not end, as another line began just inside to purchase new tour merchandise.

For those lucky enough to be the first in line, the possible souvenirs available for purchase seemed endless. Coffee cups, programs, and several different types of shirts made up only a few of the options. The cost seemed a bit in the pricey range but its worth was for the lifelong memories which happened at the concert.

20160414-Paul-McCartney-002
[/media-credit] At the onset of the encore, McCartney rose to the stage with the American Flag waving on the screen behind him, a truly epic performance.

The encore began with McCartney ascending the stage with a massive American Flag waving in the stage lights, followed by two other band members both carrying flags.

In this case the general ticket cost $250 and were available for purchase through various online sellers and upcoming tour dates, although Fresno was the only California stop.

Most of the time there are various factors in deciding whether the price is worth the experience, but for the opportunity to see someone who achieved ultimate stardom and is known worldwide, was definitely worth it. This performance was an epic experience for the Beatle fans of Fresno,  and one that will certainly live on through the ages.

For more reviews check out Staff travels to Griddle Cafe, indulges in decadent breakfast.

This author can be reached via email: Elizabeth Baker and via Twitter @_Elizabethann16