FC football sport short: Coast Union

20160906-fc-football-004
[/media-credit] The Eagles competed against the Broncos at home on Sept. 2.

The Eagles continued on after their first game, which was a loss, against Big Valley Christian. In their second game at home, the boys were fired up and ready to play Coast Union, Sept. 2. Last year the Eagles took a victory over the Broncos 38-8, a similar outcome was expected this season. 

The game started with the Eagles receiving the ball. Straight out of the gate Tyler Villines, ‘18, returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown. However, due to a penalty on the play the touchdown was waived off.

The Eagles were not rattled by the penalty and continued to fight strong. The Eagles exploded in the first quarter followed by touchdowns from Villines, and seniors Slater Wade, Tyler Vanderlinden and Julian Castro. The Eagles led 25-0 with about one minute left on the clock.

Despite the quarter coming to a close, Coast Union had to make a decision. After suffering an injury to an already depleted squad, they made a decision to forfeit the game. Because of this the Eagles would take the victory 7-0 instead.

But the action was not entirely over. The two teams decided to put on a scrimmage to aid the Coast Union players and help them improve on their skills. Each team received ten plays of offense and ten plays of defense in one half and then repeated that process in another half.

Villines was unhappy with the turnout of the game and was sympathetic for the opposing team. However he looks onto the next game.

20160906-fc-football-015
[/media-credit] Due to a Coast Union injury the game was forfeited, earning the Eagles a win.

“The first home game of the year did not go the way I expected,” Villines said. “It started out great with us coming out strong and we did our jobs. And because of that we were able to win that game, but it didn’t feel like a win at all. I’ve never felt more sad after a game than that one. No one wants to see a fellow football player or team be injured or forfeit a game. No one wants to go through that. I’m just ready to move on to this upcoming week and get ready for Anzar.”

Sophomore Jonah Lozano had some nerves for his first home football game, but soon got over them after he changed his mindset. He is excited for the upcoming season and ready to see what it will hold for the team.

“At the beginning of my first football game I had some nerves going because I didn’t want to mess up in front of everyone,” Lozano said. “Once I got it through my head just to have fun I ended up having a awesome game. The first game taught me how to perform under pressure and I’m looking forward to being able to become a better player throughout the year.”

The Eagles play their next game at home against Anzar, Sept. 9. FC now has a 1-1 overall record.

For more information on the football team, check out: Promo: Football team begins season with road game.

This author can be reached via twitter: @Julian_Castro09 and via email Julian Castro.