World of Sports: National championship front runners emerge

Cardinals quarterback Teddy Bridgewater looks for an open receiver during the University of Louisville-Eastern Kentucky University football game at Papa John’s Cardinal Stadium in Louisville, Ky., Sept. 7, 2013. Billed as Military Appreciation Day, the game featured a number of events to highlight the exceptional service of Kentucky Air National Guardsmen. (U.S. Air National Guard photo by Maj. Dale Greer)
[/media-credit] The Louisville Cardinals quarterback, Lamar Jackson, leads the nation with 25 total touchdowns through four games.

As the college football season heats up championship contenders and Heisman candidates begin to emerge.

Four weeks ago you may not have heard the name Lamar Jackson before. After four weeks of the college football season he is definitely at the forefront of the race for the Heisman Trophy. To this point in the season, Jackson has 25 touchdowns. He has more total touchdowns than half of the teams in the country.

Christian McCaffrey has not disappointed this year either as he has put on a show for everyone watching the Stanford games. He has carried their offense throughout the season so far. McCaffrey has totaled over 550 total yards throughout the first three games.

Deshaun Watson and the supposedly high powered Clemson offense got off to a very slow start totaling 49 points in the first two games. However, they have managed to pick up the pace and score a combined 77 points in their 3rd and 4th games of the season.

In the first two games Deshaun Watson looked completely out of sync with his receivers. But lately, has looked better and the team is beginning to resemble the No. 2 team in the nation that they started off as. Their lackluster start has dropped them to No. 5 in the nation despite remaining undefeated.

Am I the only person in America what in the world happened to Oklahoma? They started the year being ranked No. 3 in the nation and having a serious heisman candidate in Baker Mayfield. Now after four weeks they are not even ranked, and sit at (1-2).

20160930-world-of-sports-college-football-001
[/media-credit] Ole Miss has a shaky record of 2-2 but remains as one of the nations top teams.

Ole Miss’s record doesn’t do them justice at all, however, their ranking is spot on. Despite being (2-2) on the year they sit at No. 16. Losing to two big name opponents in the first few weeks. They lost to Florida State by 11 in what was a really good game as well as lost to No. 1 Alabama by only five points.

This week we can all look forward to three exceptional match ups that will give us a clear picture on the playoff hopefulls. We will see No. 3 Louisville and Lamar Jackson against No. 5 Clemson and Deshaun Watson. Both quarterbacks are very high up in the Heisman race as well. We will also see No. 7 Stanford at No. 10 Washington highlighted by Christian McCaffrey. As well as #8 Wisconsin at No. 4 Michigan in a early year Big 10 conference showdown.

To read last weeks World of Sports check out, World of Sports: Baseball playoff race heats up.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: dawsontriplitt and via email: Dawson Triplitt.