Reflection presents generic songs, falls short

1475505241855
[/media-credit] Derek Minor released his sixth album, “Reflection,” Oct. 14.

Derek Minor, formerly known as, PRO, released his sixth album, “Reflection,” Oct. 14. Minor is the co-founder of the record label, Reflection Music Group (RMG) but is also a member of 116 Clique. His latest album consists of 14 songs and features other artists such as, BJ the Chicago Kid and Hollyn. It was an anticipated album, but in my opinion, missed the mark.

The first thing I noticed when I listened to the album was the constant theme described throughout the songs. Minor talked about his love for God and how he isn’t ashamed for it and how he won’t follow the world’s ways.

“This one here for God, I’m a give my all, and I ain’t scared to talk about it, I’m a talk about it. So let me talk my talk, you could never harm me, my life in His hands, oh my life in His hands I ain’t worried ’bout nothing.”

This is a good message, however, it is the only type of message that I was able to get from the songs and it would have be nice to interpret some other meanings. Too many of the songs sounded similar. 

I have done previous music reviews and in most of them I have said that I am a big fan of personal songs that tell a story. Out of the 14 songs in, “Reflection” I felt that none of them had a personal, touching song. That was a big disappointment for me. To write over a dozen songs and have none of them tell a story, makes me question the amount of time that was really put into this album. 

Despite the negativity that I have shared, there were a few bright spots found. Minor definitely is on fire for Christ. Unlike some Christian rappers, Minor isn’t afraid to talk about God.

“I talk about God and how we kings and he live in us, but I keep it real, that’s why the goons still feeling us.”

derek-minor-pic
[/media-credit] Derek Minor does a great job of incorporating the gospel into his music.

Minor has been around a while and I have always respected him. He has a good voice and his music is normally pretty likable. Something just didn’t seem right about this album. I’ve noticed lately that not only Minor, but also the 116 Clique group as a whole has failed to meet my expectations. I can’t tell whether 116 is starting to fall apart or my taste in music has changed. I have steered away from that group and began listening to other artists such as, NF, Reconcile and Canon

As a whole, I felt that, “Reflection” seemed a little rushed. I am eager to see how not only Derek Minor but also 116 Clique can overcome, in my opinion, a disappointing album.

Current member of 116 Clique, Andy Mineo recently performed at FC as part of The Movement. Read: The Movement deliver memorable time and spiritual shift. 

For another article, read: Terry Richards impacts FC community through mentorship

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @nick_leblanc1 and via email: Nick LeBlanc

[rwp-review id=”0″]