Girls' soccer stars lead team

As the girls? soccer season opens, the best players begin to shine amongst the rest of the team. Juniors Amanda Sherr and Jenny Beckman are no exception.

?Amanda and Jenny are both doing well,? coach Robert Foshee said. ?They bring a lot of energy and emotion to the team. We would not be where we are right if we did not have them playing.?

Sherr began playing soccer at the age of five for Fresno Christian because of the influence of her two older sisters.

?My parents put us in sports at an early age,? Sherr said. ?I have been playing for eleven years, I love it and it has always been there.?

Playing on competition teams has helped Sherr enhance her skills because of a more challenging atmosphere.

?I have played for two competition teams in soccer,? Sherr said. ?I began playing at the Sidekicks and Revolution competitions when I was 10.?

Sheer has already had two 5-goal games this season and is on pace to challenge her Central Section Division 5 record of 64 goals.

Similar to Sherr, Beckman also started playing soccer at a young age at a kindergarten soccer league.

?I have been playing soccer for 12 years,? Beckman said. ?I started playing soccer because my brother and sister played, I thought it would be a fun thing to do.?

Beckman has continued playing for the Bullard Blaze club team since she was 12.

?I love the sport and the love the game,? Beckman said. ?My goals this year is to win the Valley title, win league and beat Fowler.?

While FC beat Fowler in the semi-finals of the Division 5 playoffs last season, they will be hard-pressed to do so again this year.

The team will play their rival, Fowler, on Jan. 17 who currently has not lost a game and is 16-0-2 overall and 5-0 in the WSL.

Foshee believes the team is improving with every game by learning from experience, and finds hope in the fact this season is running smoothly compared to other years.

?We are passing well,? Foshee said. ?We are improving in every game we play. Usually the team does not begin the season playing well so we should give Fowler a good game. We are looking forward to playing them.?

For more information on girls’ soccer, contact Foshee at [email protected] or call the high school office at 299-1695, ext. 143.