Brandon Brogan replaces injured player, excels in new roles

Strong work ethic leads to opportunity for kicker

Before the beginning of his junior year, Brandon Brogan, ’19, was interested in head football coach Russ Count’s offer to make him their new placekicker. After former kicker Richie Cortez, ‘20, went down with a torn meniscus injury, Brogan had to quickly learn the ins and outs of football, leading him to more opportunity on the field.  

[/media-credit] Junior Brandon Brogan, No. 21, sets up at the line of scrimmage as wide receiver against Immanuel HS, Sept. 1.

Coach Counts was looking to find more firepower on offense to support his senior quarterback Tyler Villines. Counts reached out to Brogan hoping he would come out for a tryout.

“When Brandon first came out we knew he could fill the role of kicker,” Counts said. “Due to the unfortunate injury to Richie Cortez. However, as coaches, we could see that there were a lot more to Brandon beside kicking. We began by getting Brandon integrated to the offense, knowing that he has great hands for catching passes.

“Brandon was a great replacement for Richie because Richie and Brandon get along well,” Counts continued. “FC football is about the team. Holding each other up and encouraging each other on. I commend Richie for how well he transferred his role to Brandon. Brandon has been a great student of the game ever since his first practice. He continues to get better and he strives to work hard each day.”

With Brogan sitting out the first two preseason games due to eligibility rules from the CIF guidelines, he felt eager to get onto the field and show everyone what he was capable of.

“We began placing Brandon in the offense once we knew he understood the routes receivers had to run,” Counts said. “Brandon is a great athlete and there are so many more great athletes at FC. I am proud of Brandon for stepping out and joining the football team.”

Brogan has always pondered playing football as it is apart of the Brogan household. His father works as the team’s trainer and his brother Bailey Brogan, ’16, played his senior year starting at safety and wide receiver.

Brandon was a great replacement for Richie because Richie and Brandon get along well. FC football is about the team. Holding each other up and encouraging each other on. Brandon has been a great student of the game ever since his first practice. He continues to get better and he strives to work hard each day. — head football coach, Russ Counts

Brandon has continued to follow those same positions as the team’s backup safety and leading wide receiver. His goal to score a touchdown was accomplished against Frazier Mountain. He finished with two touchdowns on two catches, adding 63 receiving yards to his season total.   

“The aspect that intrigued me the most was that they needed a new kicker,” Brogan said. “The coaches really wanted me to be the kicker. Coach Zamarripa (coach Z) was really excited that I went out because he also wanted to put me at the wide receiver position. Coach Counts and coach Z have just told me to play with the ability that God has given me. My dad and my brother haven’t really given me any advice other than to just play hard.”

His teammates are also delighted to have him on the field. After years of telling him to come out, junior Jonah Lozano is thrilled to see what Brogan can bring to the field.

“I’m glad Brandon came out for football,” Lozano said. “He has been a great addition to the team. I’ve been trying to recruit him for the past couple of years. I knew he was always interested so I’m glad he finally decided to come out. We’re hoping to win it all this year and he’s going to be a key part in our title run.”

[/media-credit] Brogan punts the football, Sept. 1. Come out and support the Eagles who are playing Laton HS, Oct. 20

With four weeks left of the season, Brogan is eager to pack onto his total season numbers so far. He wants to keep this pace going and push for a championship run.

The Eagles are undefeated in league play so far, only suffering defeat during their four preseason games playing 11-man football.

Going up against the higher level competition in preseason allowed an easy transition for Brogan into 8-man. He wants to contribute to the team as much as he can, aiming to help win the 8-man championship for the 3rd year in a row.

The Eagles will play Laton HS in a huge matchup where they will try and defeat the 6-1 Mustangs, Oct. 20. Be sure to come out and cheer on your Eagles at the FC Stadium!

For more football profiles, read PROFILE: Endicott brings experience, determination to football team. For more articles, check out Elementary football pushes success, prepares for future.

This author can be reached via twitter @suky_cheema and via email: Suky Cheema.