Boys basketball kicks off league play with win

Coaches, players remain optimistic despite losing 11 seniors

Returning from three weeks off of school, the boys basketball program competed against Parlier in the league opener, Jan. 9, winning 45-43. Both varsity and junior varsity aim to do well in the league portion of the season.

At the beginning of league, the varsity basketball team’s record was 8-8. Head coach Jon Penberthy reveals his expectations for his team in league.

“Our biggest expectation all year is that they continue to compete on every possession and every play,” Penberthy said. “League is going to be very tough this year, it’s very balanced. It would probably take eight wins to win league and I wouldn’t be surprised if three or four different teams could win it.”

[/media-credit] Varsity basketball player Griffin Schmidt, ’19, (white) dribbles the ball down the court.

Boys varsity went 8-2 in league in the 2016-2017 season. Brandon Brogan, ‘19, feels optimistic about the upcoming challenge of league play this year.

“I think we will do pretty good this year,” Brogan said. “I know it will be hard but I think we will do good. Tonight really showed how tough the competition in the league will be.”

After 11 senior players graduated last year, the varsity team now consists of many underclassman. Penberthy explains the challenge they are facing with inexperience.

“Our biggest challenge is that the team is so young,” Penberthy said. “We only have one returning player from last year, Wyatt Koop. We rely on Wyatt a lot to command the team and get everybody in the right spots. We have a lot of kids who have not played at Fresno Christian. I can name half our team and they haven’t played basketball at FC and that will be my biggest challenge for the year.”

Varsity basketball won their first league game against Parlier 45-43. Parlier defeated the boys junior varsity team 42-31.

The varsity basektball team’s next home game will be against the Fowler Redcats in the FC gym, Jan. 12. Come out and support the boys as JV begins at 4:30 p.m. and varsity tips off at 7 p.m..

For the girls basketball promo, read Girls basketball transitions to league play. For more athletic articles, check out Campus winter sports preview 2017-18.

This author can be reached via twitter @thejacobhyatt and via email: Jacob Hyatt.