Book review: Almost Midnight

[/media-credit] The cover of Rainbow Rowell’s Almost Midnight, two short stories that both revolve around midnight.

To “ring in the new year”, the first book that I decided to pick up for 2018 was Almost Midnight by Rainbow Rowell, a book with “two festive short stories” about the new year. Rowell has written other full-length novels including a #1 New York Times Bestseller.

Eleanor and Park, Fangirl and made Rowell known for her enchanting romantic plot lines, and Almost Midnight follows a similar pattern.

The storyline is very sweet and a very fast read (I finished the first short story in a little under thirty minutes as it is only about 50 pages). Despite how short the book actually is, the pacing works rather well and is not overly rushed.

The stories were out for an extended period of time before the book was published, so many fans of Rowell had read them previously. Having them in a hardcover format with illustrations done by Simini Blocker makes the stories truly come to life.

Rainbow Rowell shared her excitement for her friend and illustrator Simini Blocker drawing characters for her on her Twitter. One of the characters was inspired by Blocker, and Rowell shares that.

Beginning with the first short story, readers are introduced to Mags, outside of what seems like a New Year’s party. Rowell then sets up the background of the story by dates above each section, and the details of a flashback with Mags and Noel, her best friend.

Readers follow the growth of their relationship and the changes of their group beginning in high school and their drift apart as they all left for college. One thing remains the same between the whole group: Mags and Noel are always together.

The second story follows devoted Star Wars fan Elena who decides that she will spend her time waiting in line for the newest Star Wars movie. While outside the theatre, she meets two other quirky characters, Troy and Gabe. After a while, she learns more about her “linemates” and discovers something about Gabe. The story,

[/media-credit] An illustration done by Simini Blocker for the story, Midnights.

like the first one, is full of fun jokes, cute illustrations, and cute little romance.

Overall, this collection of short stories is a good read for anyone feeling in the winter spirit, and anyone who enjoys the winter holidays. Rowell’s books seem to have a warm feeling about them, and these stories are sure to bring in warmth in the cold and gloomy days of winter. The idea of following two different, rather romantic plots in one novel help bring together the thoughts of midnight and of young love.

Rowell’s other works include Runaways, a series she is working on for Marvel, Attachments, Carry On, Fangirl, Eleanor and Park, and Landline.

This book can be purchased online on Amazon.

For my last book review, read Turtles All The Way Down.

This author can be reached via email and Twitter.

[rwp_box id=”0″]