Hydro Flask trend spreads on campus

Students weigh in on new bottle trend

[/media-credit] Seniors Jenna Bynum and Macy Luginbill enjoy their decorated hydro flasks.

Hydro Flasks are steel, all-insulated, multi-colored water bottles created in Bend, Oregon. The company launched in 2009 with the first all-insulated bottle lineup.

After reaching one million sales in 2011, they turned their attention to other markets, not just water bottles, expanding their glassware to coffee, alcohol and food containers.

With seven sizes, two lid types, 14 colors and 14 different ‘boots’, the company boasts 183,456 unique combinations available to create. Hydro Flask utilizes all of these possibilities through their MyHydroā„¢ program, creating custom water bottles as soon as it is ordered. Customers can mix-match everything about the water bottle.Ā 

Hydro Flask offers a vacuum seal in every one of its products called a TempShieldā„¢. This double walled vacuum sealed insulation promises to keep cold drinks cold and hot drinks hot. Their website explains what the TempShieldā„¢ does.

ā€œUsed in every product we make, TempShieldā„¢ is our double wall, vacuum insulated technology that guards the temperature of your drink,” the website says. “Bring ice water with you in the morning, and we promise youā€™ll still have ice in the afternoon.ā€

Paige Provost, ā€˜21, recently bought one and states her opinion on why she spent the money.

ā€œI really like my Hydro Flask,ā€ Provost said, ā€œI appreciate how it keeps my water cold the whole day of school. I feel that ever since I got my Hydro Iā€™m drinking a lot more and staying hydrated. I personally do not see a problem with the price because I think that it is worth every penny.ā€

Hydro Flasks come with a downside, their price tags. With the cheapest water bottles costing$29.95 for a 12 oz. to the most expensive 64 oz. costing $59.95. Additionally, the stainless steel casing, may dent when dropped.

Bryson Graham, ā€˜21, uses a plastic water bottle instead. Graham believes the price tag is too expensive.Ā 

[/media-credit] Although the price tag is not cheap, the Hydro Flask trend is rapidly spreading across campus.

ā€œI donā€™t really like Hydro Flasks,ā€ Graham said. ā€œTo me they are too mainstream. Itā€™s pointless to me because a plastic water bottle can do the same thing as a Hydro Flask. They are just too expensive and mainstream for me to get one when I donā€™t even need it.ā€

Other leading water bottle brands include Nalgene and Camelbak. Nalgene offers plastic water bottles that are ‘indestructible’. If a Nalgene breaks, they send new replacement water bottles. Camelbak offers hydration backpacks, stainless steel sports bottles and mugs. Both brands are less expensive than a Hydro Flask. Nalgene’s flagship 32 oz wide mouth bottle is $10.99 and $30 for a stainless steel bottle.

Soon after their release, Hydro Flask became a new staple trend, similar to the wayĀ PatagoniaĀ is popular. SomeĀ customize their bottles with stickers to create a unique, personalized look.Ā 

To learn more about Hydro Flasks check out the company website, and to purchase their products in Fresno visit the River Park REI sports store.

For more articles, check out Alabama QB Tua Tagovailoa provides example of excellence as a freshman. For more A&E, read Redemption.

This author can be reached via twitter @thejacobhyatt and via email: Jacob Hyatt.