Senior night honors basketball and soccer veterans

Coaches, athletes recognize departing players

[/media-credit] Girls soccer seniors include (left to right) Carlee Whipple, Jenna Bynum, Cayla Rivas, Lauryn Tucker, Maicy Luginbill and Lizzie Herren.

Girls and boys basketball and soccer teams celebrated senior night in the Fresno Christian Gym and stadium, Feb. 6. All teams battled the Caruthers Blue Raiders as seniors from each team were honored in pregame ceremonies. 

The event honored seniors before the game for their dedication and effort throughout the season. Seniors got a chance to share highlights from the year while families and fans watched from the stands. Basketball seniors included Wyatt Koop, Jacob Provost, Natalya Hill and Erin Wilson. Boys soccer also honored their seniors, Jacob Avedian, John Micu, Nate Mount and Jaden Ventura. The girls soccer team had the most seniors with Lauryn Tucker, Carlee Whipple, Cayla Rivas, Maicy Luginbill, Lizzy Herrin and Jenna Bynum.

Senior night allows for recognition that otherwise wouldn’t be acknowledged. Girls varsity basketball coach Robert Foshee appreciates the opportunities senior night provides.

“It’s (Senior Night) a way to celebrate seniors who have invested into the program over the years and have given a lot of their time and resources, so it’s a good way to celebrate them and their families for what they’ve done,” Foshee said. “I am proud of my seniors for being there all the time. I think they’re really dedicated and have gone through a lot their freshman and sophomore years, and now they can get some success. I’m proud of how they continue to work hard all the time.”

Freshman player Hannah Villines welcomes senior night as an opportunity to focus on her senior teammates.

“I liked senior night because I like the tradition of honoring the girls who I’ve watched mature in basketball and have looked up to for so long as an underclassman,” Villines said. “It is also really exciting to see all the traditions I will get to participate in when I am a senior. I feel close to the seniors because not only have I grown up talking to them but playing with them in both summer league and regular season.”

Senior night honors long term members who have dedicated their devotion to their sport each year. Four year varsity basketball player Wyatt Koop feels grateful that he got to play throughout high school.

“I like playing basketball because I get to meet new people and do something after school,” Koop said. “The benefits of playing is getting to open up to new people and having new experiences. This season has been amazing and I will miss the coaches the most from playing the sport.”

The evening began with the varsity girls soccer game. The lady Eagles defeated the Blue Raiders by a score of 5-3, led by freshman Rylee Schwab who scored two goals. After a close game in boys soccer, the Blue Raiders defeated the Eagles by a score of 3-2.

[/media-credit] Maicy Lugninbill is joined by her family as she and her fellow teammates are honored, recognized before the game.

Senior Maicy Luginbill, who has been a part of the team since her freshmen year, will miss the team but wishes them the best in the seasons to come.

“My favorite part about senior night was being with all of the senior girls and remembering all of the fun things we did together since we were freshmen,” Luginbill said. “I’m going to miss the close family feel of the girls soccer team. I would like to thank Lauryn (Tucker) and all the girls on the soccer team for supporting me and making this season so fun.”

Girls basketball opened with a surprise, as the team decided to sing the national anthem by themselves. After a standing ovation from the crowd, the team honored their seniors Wilson and Hill. However the Eagles were unable to stand against the Blue Raiders team and lost by a score of 61-28.

Varsity boys basketball also honored their seniors Koop and Provost before beginning the game. Despite being down by nine points after the first half of the game, the Eagles came back to take the lead in the final quarter. However, in the final minute of the game the Caruthers team once again took possession of the lead and defeated the Eagles by a score of 52-49.

For more articles, read: Senior joins soccer team, hopes to make improvements or A day in the life of a photojournalist.

Slideshow below includes images from fall sports senior nights.

[rev_slider alias=”fallsportsseniornights”]

This author can be reached via email and Twitter.