COLUMN: Spend time with loved ones this holiday season

asdfghjkl
asdfghjkl

This is the second in a guest column series by student body president Alexander Rurik who adds a leadership perspective and voice to The Feather Online. Read his first article, Alexander Rurik shares story of name.

[/media-credit] Although education and school activities are important, take some time to focus on family and friends this holiday season.

November is underway, winter sports are kicking off and Christmas break is just visible over the horizon. As fall ends and the days become shorter, students look forward to the festivities of the holidays and time away from school.

Thanksgiving approaches in time to allow students a respite from a busy schedule before the final weeks of the semester heat up. This Thanksgiving break, I encourage students to take advantage of their time and rest, catch up on homework and most importantly, consider spending time with family and friends.

Fresno offers various activities people can enjoy together ranging from bowling, wandering through the Fresno Chaffee Zoo, to exploring Downtown Fresno or Old Town Clovis. Take a day trip to one of the surrounding National Parks: Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia.

During Christmas break, intentionally choose who to spend that time with and work to build relationships. Grab a group of friends and walk down Christmas Tree Lane or Cindy Lane or organize a gift exchange game. Form a board game tournament or host an ugly Christmas sweater party.

Although education and school activities are important, take some time to focus on family and friends this holiday season. — Alexander Rurik

On campus, there are several opportunities to get involved. Although the annual Operation Christmas Child shoebox drive ended, you can still pack boxes and take them to local distribution centers like New Covenant Community Church.

Students are also encouraged to bring canned foods for FC’s annual canned food drive which goes to the Pinedale community for Thanksgiving. Winter sports are kicking off and choir’s “Lessons and Carols” leads the school into the Christmas season, Dec. 3, so go and support!

Seniors, this is our last chance to participate in high school festivities so take advantage of every opportunity. After graduation, some of the class of 2019 plan to leave the area, so truly relish each moment with each other and with your loved ones.

Although education and school activities are important, take some time to focus on family and friends this holiday season.

For more articles by Rurik, read Alexander Rurik shares story of name and Small school, big dreams.

Alexander Rurik can be reached via Twitter @alexrurik23, email and Instagram.