COLUMN: Morgan Parker shares perspective on happiness

Freshmen Kamryn Schultz celebrates with her teammates at the beginning of the game.

Journalist defines happiness, emphasizes importance

Expressed through smiles, grins and giggles, happiness remains a foundational element in the human condition. Happiness is not only a word to describe something enjoyed, but also a feeling that one experiences.

[/media-credit] Journalist Morgan Parker, ’22 explores the concept of happiness.

Happiness, according to Oxford dictionary, means feeling or showing pleasure or contentment. When someone is happy it means they look content, having a huge smile, or being ecstatic. Happiness is a choice. People choose joy in difficult situations of life on their own.

How can contentment be beneficial in everyday life? Heading into the season of gifts and giving, not everyone receives the items on their wishlist. Students may not get the best grade on their finals. Learning to be content leads to peace, happiness, self-sufficiency, and love, according to Wisdom Times.

Different cultures and languages use unique words or phrases to express happiness. In Greek culture, Aristotle argued that people desire things and experiences that stimulate happiness in themselves. The Greek word eudaimonia means the state of having a good indwelling spirit and a good genius.

Happiness is usually a fleeting emotion whereas joy describes a constant state of being as said by Island Packet. Feeling well because of things like a good hair day shows happiness, but joy is found when you are content even amidst struggles and trials.

Only you can define your own happiness and what makes you feel that way. I once had a close friend leading up to seventh grade, but we had not been talking for a while. We started having less and less things in common and she started to hang out with kids I didn’t know. They were not necessarily doing the things I wanted to participate in.

I honestly could not think of who to go to and started feeling unhappy about my friend choices, only being used to the one. Luckily during that school year I created life long friendships and felt how relieving it is to trust people and feel accepted. These friends still support me and never leave my side and I gained my happiness as well as trust through them.

[/media-credit] Children around the world can not help but smile while receiving gifts. Loved ones gather together in joy throughout this season of giving.

In Hebrew a momentary state of elation, positive energy, and the desire to give and bless, “שִׂמְחָה (seem-KHAH)”, shows joy. The joy of the long term, a less elated but more constant state of gratification, is “אֹשֶׁר (OH-shehr)”.

For many people, finding happiness is their main goal in life. The pursuit of happiness can change someone by creating a safe place for their mind to go. Pursuing happiness helps fight against depression by making stressful things less of a tragedy.

Habits of happy people include healthy relationships, acts of kindness, exercise, spiritual meaning, and optimism. Engaging in these practices maintains a habit of working the mind and body.

The importance of relationships comes into play when pursuing happiness. Listening and sharing feelings relieves the stress of keeping everything inside one’s head. Close friendships give closure. Scientists have discovered happiness is not only gained through support from others but is more beneficial when given to others.

Even the Declaration of Independence grants Americans the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. People are given the human right to follow what makes them happy. Seeking contentment and going after it is what Thomas Jefferson intended the nation to do.

BBC features ways to be happy in six steps. A Daily exercise is said to boost happiness in their article.

I see myself as a happy person. I strive to think on the bright side of things and be positive. Even though things are rough sometimes, I know that it can only get better. Having friends to talk to and activities to do makes me this way. Physical activities like cheer keeps me feeling refreshed and playing piano clears out my mind.

There are multiple levels to becoming happy. Mentally, people must allow themselves to believe in the benefits of happiness. Starting out by telling themselves to be content begins the process. Students can practice being more happy by accepting the good in life, being open to change, and pushing yourself. 

For more articles, check out Campus groups perform in ‘Lessons and Carols’ Christmas concert and PROMO: Campus groups to march in Children’s Electric Christmas Parade.

Morgan Parker can be reached via email and via Twitter.