Andrew Moore expresses faith on, off the field

Arizona-born athlete speaks on ability to express worship

[/media-credit] Junior Andrew Moore stands with his mom, Alisha Moore. Alisha works as an associate childrens pastor at Peoples Church.

Continuing his focus on athletes throughout the Fresno Christian campus, senior Richie Cortez digs deeper into players lives rather than focusing on their play on the field. Cortez uncovers unheard stories and highlights moments that athletes experience to get to where they are today. 

Two-year linebacker and running back for the Eagles, Andrew Moore, ‘21, puts in countless hours of studying film and rehearsing multiple repetitions in practice to perfect his game. Along with contributing to the football team in the backfield, Moore strives to impact his campus and peers.

A vocalist for The Chase, Peoples Church student ministry and FC worship team, Moore tells the story of how he landed a spot on the team with Peoples Church. 

“This is a funny story actually,” Moore chuckled. “I was in my mom’s office after school one day and I was doing homework. I had my earbuds plugged into my laptop and I was singing as I was working. All of a sudden this leader yanks out my earbuds and was shocked saying, ‘you can sing!‘. I wasn’t sure whether to take what she was saying as a compliment because she just kept repeating that I could sing.

“I told her thank you but then she pulls my arm and takes me to ‘G”s (Daniel Garrison, Peoples Church worship leader) office and makes me audition right there on the spot,” continued Moore. “At first I thought it was funny but I was a little nervous at the same time. I sang a couple songs for them and the team said they would notify me in the near future. So about three or four months later G told me I was on the team and I was scheduled to sing on that Wednesday.”

Overcoming obstacles

Although football is a huge part of his life, Moore explained the hardships that kept him from playing. Back in his hometown of Surprise, Arizona, temperatures reached triple digits regularly. Moore discusses how fortunate it was moving to the Valley and how he is now able to play the sport he is passionate about.

[/media-credit] Moore (middle) sings on the FC worship team for the second year in a row, expressing his faith through song.

“I’ve only lived here in Fresno for three years,” Moore said. “But in my three years here I can confirm it’s hot, but you guys don’t have it as bad as Arizona does. Over there when I say 115 degrees I am not exaggerating. But because of that it’s dangerous to play football. Over there I debated playing; I love this sport so much but it was everything that was against it.”

Moore was diagnosed with asthma at a young age which held him back from doing common physical activities. Despite his persisting condition, he found a way to get in full pads and play out on the field.

“Coming into Fresno I heard the weather was better,” Moore said. “Ever since I’ve been here I don’t think I’ve had a single asthma flare up. I tried everything out my sophomore year and I fell in love with it. I went from, ‘you can’t do it’, to now it’s right in front of me, and why wouldn’t I take that opportunity?”

In the following podcast, Richie Cortez discusses athletic and musical memories with Moore.

Expressing one’s faith

On the FC campus, students and faculty have the ability to express their beliefs. In public schools, it is prohibited for teachers or school faculty members to pray with students. Even coaches aren’t allowed to talk about their beliefs with their players. At FC, before every game, someone prays over the event. Moore explains what worship means to him and how his new school allows him to express his beliefs. 

“God sees you in everything you do, in my opinion,I think it’s important to reflect him in everything I do,” Moore said. “When it comes to worship it’s easier for me to express myself. Worship to me, I heard it somewhere, ‘it’s the only thing we can give back to God’, if you think about it. God encourages us to worship and give praise, but it’s not forced upon us.”

In the following tweet, The Feather hightights Moore’s style of worship goes beyond the stage.

Living out his worship, Moore explains how his act of worship carries onto the football field.

“Out on the field where I’m hitting someone, I do it to reflect the talents God has given me,” Moore continued. “I do it in a sense that if I’m hitting someone hard, God’s given me the strength to hit them. Now that might sound bad, but he’s blessed me with the ability to do this type of thing. He’s given me my strengths and weaknesses. God has a map set out for me and if football is a path he knew I was going to take in high school, then I’m going to do everything I can to reflect him my high school football career.”

Hard work pays off

[/media-credit] Moore poses with his dad Tim Moore and brothers Macynn and Ayden Moore.

The Eagles defeated Sierra High in their first eleven-man match this season. Enduring the triple-digit heat, the team has practiced throughout the summer to prepare for the upcoming eleven-man and eight-man games. Moore discussed the transition from an eleven-man game week to an eight-man game week.

“I feel like there is no difference whether there were eleven guys on the field or eight,” Moore said. “Once you have that objective, which is to beat the other team, it’s cut and dry in what you do. You watch film, study your plays, study their defense their offense. For me I’m a linebacker so I would have to study their offense to know where I’m going but at the same time study our defense so I know my zones and blitz plays.”

Last season the Eagles earned the section runner-up title in the CIF Central Section 8-Man Championship. They are based in the Central Sierra (8-Man) League with the leadership of head coach Russ Counts. Finishing off the 2018-2019 season with an overall record of 10-2, the team looks to take this season one game at a time with their eyes set on a Valley championship.

Make sure to go out and support the team Friday, Aug. 30 at Rosamond High School, 7 p.m.

Have a picture and/or video from an Eagle game? Submit your media to the Feather Online via email.

For more sports profiles, check out Richie Cortez discusses FC girls soccer with Deborah Ingerson and Richie Cortez discusses FC basketball with captain Suky Cheema.

Richie Cortez can be reached via email.

Slideshow below including Moore’s family and hobbies.