COMMENTARY: Girls volleyball strives to continue season success into playoffs, Oct. 31

Campus girls volleyball team compete in No. 10 seed, head into playoffs

The Central Section Division V girls volleyball playoff bracket was released earlier this week. The No. 10 seed Eagles take on No. 7 seed Hanford in the first round of playoffs, Oct. 31. Fresno Christian was placed in the “Bottom B bracket” along with fellow league team Frazier Mountain. 

In the following podcast, senior captain Megan LeBlanc and sophomore Emily Penberthy, discuss the upcoming playoffs and regular season play.

Eagles win league title, battle during playoffs

The Eagles head into playoffs red hot, coming off an impressive league season and finishing first in the conference tournament. Head coach Kit Maddox talks about the success they’ve had this year and winning the league title, the first in eight years. 

[/media-credit] The lady Eagles come together and cheer after winning their league tournament, Oct. 19.

“It feels good,” Maddox said. “When I started three years ago, looking up at the banners in the gym and I told myself, our team has to get up on that banner. We’ve been eyeballing it and we were close last year it came down to a couple points. It’s really gratifying after going through the last three years to finally break through and win that league championship.” 

Fresno Christian finished off their regular season with an overall record of 15-17, placing first in the East Sierra league as undefeated league champions. On the other hand, the Hanford Bullpups finished their regular season 10-15 and finished fourth in the West Yosemite league. 

The Bullpups are seeded higher than the Eagles coming into the playoffs. Both teams started out slow, in their first five games, Hanford went 0-5 and Fc went 1-4. The Eagles finished off the regular season strong and have not lost since September against Lemoore. LeBlanc shares her thoughts on the playoff seeding situation. 

“A lot of thought went into preseason,” LeBlanc said. “We played a lot of stronger teams in the beginning of the season and those were tough games. They prepared us for these harder teams (in playoffs). They do take that into consideration for ranking us in the playoffs, so since we lost those games earlier in the year it was an upset for our bracket we were placed in, but it made us grow as a team.”

Make sure to go and support your lady Eagles as they take on Hanford in the first round of playoffs, Oct. 31! Game time is 7 p.m.

For more of Cortez’s interviews, check out Richie Cortez discusses Bekah Micu’s return from injury and Angel Ruelas eyes professional soccer career after Italian trip.

Richie Cortez can be reached via Twitter @richie_cortez9 and via email.