Feature Art No. 2, 2020-21: Zentangle

[/media-credit] Zentangle art piece created by Avery Loeffler, ’22, in Fresno Christian Art II class.

The Feather Featured Art series is chosen by art teacher Vickey Belmont from her classes and/or independent art students. Belmont picks the best work during current units and encourages students to participate in these occasional posts. Other students are encouraged to submit art pieces as well. Please contact the editors directly or via adviser Kori James for submissions.

Description by art teacher Vickey Belmont:

Avery Loeffler, a second-year art student has incredible talent. I have watched her develop her skills from first having her in middle school. For this project I had her draw a picture of her choice and add lines and color to it.

The method she used is called zentangle. The zentangle method is an easy-to-learn, relaxing, and fun way to create beautiful images by drawing structured patterns, it is a combination of dots, lines, simple curves, S-curves and orbs. The best part of this method is that anyone, at any skill level can create beautiful pictures. The zentangle.com website goes into further detail  and shows a variety of zentangles to get started; it can be very relaxing to ‘doodle’ with this art form. 

Loeffler filled the ‘empty space’  with any sort of line or repetitive design and continued this process with different zentangles until she filled the areas. Avery did a great job in using this technique. I asked some second year art students to add color to their design and she completed her project beautifully.

Popular today are the adult coloring books for relaxing, as seen here https://mymodernmet.com/zentangle-art/; they use zentangle to create designs and pictures to color.

Avery basically created her own ‘coloring page’,  this technique is fun, she could probably create her own coloring book of wonderful designs.

For a previous art post, read Feature Art No. 1, 2020-21: Movie night Infographic.  For more articles, check out  Should students care about voting and elections.