Tomlinson surpasses 1500

New milestone achieved for Senior Orion Tomlinson

Orion Tomlinson, ’22, took to the court, Jan. 27 with a big milestone approaching. Within minutes from the start of the buzzer Tomlinson surpasses his 1500th career point. Whistles blow, the team exits the court as Coach Jon Penberthy presents a special basketball with the number ‘1500’ imprinted on it.

[/media-credit] Senior Orion Tomlinson surpassing the 1500 career point mark in a game against Alpaugh, Jan. 27.

As the crowd erupted to their feet cheering, Tomlinson stood front and center accepting the congratulatory support from both the home crowd and visitors, while his teammates rush the court celebrating with him. Another surprise was the group of Alumni that came from far distances to witness his accomplishment.

Even though he knew the moment was approaching, the emotions could not be avoided.

“The tears were ‘tears of joy’ because it was a lot of hard work  and dedication,” Tomlinson said. ” Doing the same task repeatedly to get there was a commitment. Seeing my old teammates come back and my family there meant a lot.”

According to Coach Penberthy, you might get one person to shoot 1500 pts every 10 years! Career points refers to his varsity CIF high school games only. Tomlinson has played a total of 89 games averaging about 18 points per game.

Playing varsity all four years of high school and making his way through a shorter COVID season makes this an impressive milestone.

Post high school plans have yet to be determined but playing the game is all he wants to do.

“I’m not sure where I will land as long as I get to play, I’ll be thankful.” Tomlinson said.

Senior Brad Cheney just joined the team a few weeks ago and speaks to the leadership skills that impress him as teammate.

“I’ve only been in the team a couple weeks now and it’s crazy to see how many points he’s scored,” Cheney said.  He pretty much makes the offense happen by the way he passes the ball and leads the team.”

When talking with this basketball leader it’s clear it not about the potential of money or fame…it’s truly about the game.

View this post on Instagram

A post shared by The Feather (@thefeatheronline)

If you would like to come watch the Fresno Christian Eagles on the home court, Next home games are Jan. 28 and Feb. 3.

Congrats Orion! Way to go!

To read more from The Feather head to Boys volleyball season kicks off  or The private life of Scott Bucher.

For more Feather photos visit the Media page.