Baseball passion spurs on senior

Dreams of major league fields and World Series at-bats fly in the minds of many little boys. Senior Daniel Kingen has stepped toward that image by playing four years on the campus baseball team.

Kingen developed a passion for baseball while in the fifth grade. Due to his interest at such an early age, Kingen has many role models he views as an example.

?Barry Bonds has inspired me because he’s such a good hitter,” Kingen said. ?My dad [James Kingen] has also helped make me a better player because he played in high school, so he knows what he’s doing. I look up to him because he has taught me everything I know.”

Because of Kingen’s years of experience on the team, he says he is trying to help the freshmen feel more comfortable.

?I have been on varsity since my freshman year,? Kingen said. ?The first year I made varsity because we didn’t have a JV team, so I was happy I was still able to play. I have always loved baseball because I can have fun with friends while still enjoying the sport.?

While Kingen enjoys his fielding position, center field, his favorite aspect of the game is being at the plate.

?Center field can be hard at times because it’s difficult to track down the ball when it?s in the air,? Kingen said. ?I prefer batting because it’s a thrill to hit a good run and help other runners score. My weakness in batting is I tend to chase high balls. On the other hand, my strength is hitting fast balls because I can hit them pretty far.”

Despite Kingen’s love for playing baseball, he has encountered many embarrassing mishaps.

“At practice I was taking cuts [practice swings] and Mr. [Scott] Falk [previous baseball coach] walked behind me,” Kingen said. “I accidentally hit him really hard straight in the back. I kept apologizing because I felt so bad.”

Assistant coach Rich Sorenson said he has been pleased with Kingen’s overall performance on the field and has enjoyed watching him grow since last year.

“Kingen has a good arm and has great throwing power,” Sorenson said. “He is also very strong and has the ability to catch fly balls with his speed.”

Despite the hard work baseball may require, Kingen still prefers it over other sports. He says he has enjoyed getting to know the other teammates, especially Matthias Westfall, ’09.

“Matthias is someone I look up to on the team,” Kingen said. “He always has a good attitude and is constantly smiling. He never gets negative and always picks me up when I?m down.”

Westfall said Kingen’s dedication to the team is very admirable, and that overall he is one of the best hitters because he bats third in the line-up.

“Kingen is a good all-around player,” Westfall said. “He’s good defensively because he can track down fly balls that others can’t usually get. He’s become more of a team player and shows many qualities of a leader.”

According to Alex Campama, ’11, Kingen is a huge asset to the team and always strives to do better in batting and fielding.

“This year he’s changed his attitude so he’s become a better leader,” Campama said. “He’s a really good fielder because he’s fast so he can get to the ball quicker. He has also been very dedicated so far this year and I’m happy I get to play with him.”

Outside of baseball, Kingen enjoys hanging out with his friends, hardly ever taking a break from physical activities.

“I like to dirtbike and snowboard in my free time,” Kingen said. “I also like going up to Sierra Summit on the weekends and snowboarding with my friends.”

Kingen said his highlight of the year was when the team played Yosemite High School in a tight game that ended in a 9-9 tie.

“I hit a double and ended up getting three of our runners to score,” Kingen said. “It was a thrill to help us get more points and it was my favorite game so far this season.”

For more information on baseball, read the Baseball sport shorts.