Sophomore ascends tennis ladder

Sophomore Julianne King breaks a sweat as she hustles to strike the ball. Her focused expression transforms into a small grin as she wins the match point.

Although King began her tennis career at the age of 5, she has developed in the sport and now holds the No. 2 singles spot on the ladder.

“My mom signed me up for tennis camps when I was a little kid,” King said. “A while later I started taking private lessons at Dan Gamel’s Health & Racquet Club. I had a great coach who taught me good tennis form. He instilled in me the right fundamentals to start playing at a higher level.”

With a record of 3-8 for singles and 6-5 for doubles, head coach Brittany Salley appreciates King’s attitude and determination.

“Julianne doesn’t give up,” Salley said. “She could be down in a game and then come back to win it. Her perseverance is a very admirable quality in a player. She brings a positive attitude to the team.”

Because of the constant motion and pressure during a match, King sometimes finds herself in embarrassing situations.

“It’s so easy to quickly stumble because you’re always moving back and forth,” King said. “I am pretty much tripping over my feet the majority of the match, and sometimes I feel like a fool.”

Despite the difficult footwork on the court, King says she works well with another player backing her up.

“I enjoy doubles more than singles,” King said. “My partner, Allie Frea [’13], is so much fun to work with. We have each other’s back, and we get to encourage one another. Games are less stressful because we can rely on each other.”

Frea admires her partner’s way of always maintaining composure in a match.

“Julianne is very relaxed in our matches,” Frea said. “We are like opposites: I am really aggressive and she is chilled out. Our differences compliment each other very well.”

Because the team includes girls from each class, King appreciates the ability to connect with different individuals.

“It’s neat to hang out with people who I wouldn’t regularly talk to,” King said. “Playing tennis allows me to spend time with girls outside my usual group of friends.”

However, tennis is just one aspect of King’s life. She must juggle the sport with her other responsibilities and commitments. Unlike many athletes, King simultaneously participates in two school teams: tennis and color guard.

In order to balance her activities, King must maintain an organized daily schedule.

“I have either practices or games every day after school,” King said. “Along with tennis, I am on the color guard team. Each activity is right after the other so I don’t get much free time. I have to prepare for everything beforehand and keep my schedule organized at all times.”

When King gets the opportunity to relax, she can be found doing a number of hobbies.

“I like reading, Facebook and winter guard,” King said. “They occupy my time and amuse me for awhile. Plus, these activities don’t take too much thinking, so I can relax while doing them. Out of all my activities, I love to hang out with my friends the most.”

Her friend and fellow sophomore, Bianca Hinojosa, says she enjoys watching King play tennis.

“I am very proud of her,” Hinojosa said. “She is going out and doing something she’s good at.”

Another one of her close friends, Austen Houts, ’12, recognizes the amount of time King’s activities consume.

“Julie frequently experiences mental episodes,” Houts said. “Playing tennis along with her other activities does take away time from friends, but when it comes down to it, I support her 100 percent.”

For more information on the girls’ tennis team, visit the Sept. 30 article, Players practice tennis skills, and check out the Girls’ tennis sport shorts.