Color guard places second, prepares for competition

ColorGuard1
[/media-credit] Color guard is a team that performs in many different completions involving hand eye coordination and while using flags, sabers and rifles. The schools team is performing to Love Don’t Die for their championships.
In their latest competitions the color guard team earned second place in the Scholastic Regional at Hoover High School. At this event James Logan School took first place, gaining a higher score than that campus squad. Color guard teams can contain both girls and boys in high school and junior high; it serves as a competition team that performs all year round.

Color guard is a team that performs in many different completions involving hand eye coordination and while using flags, sabers and rifles. The schools team is performing to Love Don’t Die for their championships.

14 other color guard teams participated in the competition and will prepare for their next competition at Clovis North, March 29.

Rebekah Carrol, ’19, enjoys acquiring new skills while having a great time. She loves being on the team because it provides her with the opportunity to bond with the other girls and make great memories throughout the year.

“My favorite memory from color guard is when we would sit around and talk,” Carrol said. “Color guard is a great way to get to know each other and we all enjoy getting together to practice. It’s really fun.”

Soloist performer Summer McGrew, ’17, enjoys color guard and cannot wait for championships.

“I like color guard because it gives me something to do, and it’s really fun,” McGrew said. “It involves a lot of energy, too. I like to bond with the girls and we all get to know each other better.”

Many of the girls joined the team in order to try something new and loved the experience as a whole. Color guard is a good balance between hard work and responsibility while making memories. Chloe Cooper, ’17, loves being involved in the team because she can throw the flags and dance to great songs and routines.

“The funniest thing that happened when we were practicing, was when I tossed up a single and a half and I didn’t catch it right and my flag was the only one that dropped,” Cooper said. “Next year I will be doing color guard because I love the coach, the girls and everything about it.”

In addition to competing, the girls also show off their skills at school rallies. Performing at the rallies served as a confidence booster for their upcoming event and they enjoyed performing for the school.

Coach and alumna Megan Stewart, ’11, was involved in color guard for three years during her high school career.

“When I first came only half of them had any kind of training whatsoever,” Stewart said. “Now they all have the basics down on flag and a majority of them have basics down on weapon. It was rather rough to start, getting them into performing mode, but every show their score has increased.”

When the school was looking for a coach, she thought it would be a great way to give back and teach others a sport that she loved. Stewart is very proud of how far the girls have come since the beginning of the year.

“The team has seen noticeable improvement throughout the competitive season,” Stewart said. “They have taken the judges critiques to make changes and championships will be expected to be the best show yet.”

For more news, read the March 25 BRIEF: Cheer tryouts approach, March 29 article.