Fresno mansion attracts tourists for the holidays

[/media-credit] Kearney Mansion offers Christmas Tours Fri-Sun at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Also on Sun. Dec. 14 there will be an open house where you can tour the house solo, while listening to Christmas Carols played throughout the house.

Visitors attracted to decorations of historical home

With the Christmas season well underway, visitors flock to one of Fresno’s many beloved sites: Kearney Mansion. Upon arrival at Kearney Park, guests can spot the sizable home between a luscious green landscape. The estate is engulfed by a cultivation of evergreen trees.

After walking up the front stairs, a tour guide welcomed us into the front room of what was Martin Theodoore Kearney’s grand residence. The group of about 10 people was then led into the Estate Office, which earns the title of largest room in the house.

In the first Office, a small tree sat with red ornaments and a collection of various colored gifts laid beneath. Next to the tree was a black and white aerial photograph of the grounds. We then entered into Kearney’s personal office, where we were then shown the customized estate currency from the beginning of the 20th century.

Next, we were taken upstairs for a view of several other bedrooms. The largest bedroom belonged to Kearney himself, and was left untouched by Christmas decor, to preserve the nostalgia of the room. Other bedrooms included those of Kearney’s then Estate Manager and his children, which featured archived pictures of Kearney Ranch citizens hanging from Christmas trees.

My grandmother and I always came down here [Kearney Mansion] when I was a child. So we decided several years ago that it was time to revive the tradition. I’m glad we picked the tradition back up because I appreciate the place more now than I did as a child.–Jamie Jones 

After a trip back downstairs, we were led into the grand finale: The Parlor. The Parlor hosted a magnificent ten foot noble fir Christmas tree, ornately covered in golden bows, ornaments and lights.

Overall, the atmosphere of Kearney Mansion was welcoming and warm. This site is a gem, sat apart from other landmarks in Fresno County. Topped off with the touches of Christmas spirit, the tour was a very enjoyable experience.

Fellow visitor, Jamie Jones, makes an annual trip to Kearney Mansion during the holiday season to reminisce on her childhood, when she went to Kearney with her grandmother.

“My grandmother and I always came down here [Kearney Mansion] when I was a child,” Jones said. “So we decided several years ago that it was time to revive the tradition. I’m glad we picked the tradition back up because I appreciate the place more now than I did as a child.”

Kearney Mansion offers Christmas Tours Fri-Sun at 1, 2 and 3 p.m. Also on Sun. Dec. 14 there will be an open house where you can tour the house solo, while listening to Christmas Carols played throughout the house.

Follow The Feather via Twitter and Instagram: @thefeather and @thefeatheronline.

These writers can be reached via Twitter: @ chloemueller and @_sarapeterson.

For more reviews, read the Dec. 2 article, Third film in franchise raises expectations for final installment.