Co-captain pushes her team with intensity, power

Captain Courtney Messer defends against the Sierra Chieftain offense.
[/media-credit] Captain Courtney Messer defends against the Sierra Chieftain offense.

Courtney Messer improves girls soccer through leadership skills

As winter sports get underway, teams start to rally around their strong and trustworthy players. These players provide morale, support and a strong glue between the teammates. One of these players in the girls soccer team is junior Courtney Messer, this co-captain pushes her team with intensity, power.

Messer began her career, under the tutelage of her father as a young girl. Despite being the second oldest sister of four, she brought her entire family into the sport.

Matthew Messer (Courtney’s father) lured her into the world of soccer because of his childhood memories and the hope of becoming a coach of his daughter’s team.

“I was first introduced to soccer in kindergarten by my dad,” Mathew said. “He played as a child and hoped that I would partake in the joy of the sport. Along with that, he wanted to coach and enjoyed watching me play.”

After Messer found the joy of playing on a soccer team, the rest of her sisters joined in with the fun, either gradually or with an instant love of the sport.

“My dad first persuaded me to play soccer,” Courtney said. “Yet once my sisters saw how much fun I was having, they joined in on the fun. Each one making soccer their primary sport. My oldest sister played on the Eagles team and lead them as captain. Hopefully I can do as well or better than her in my last two years of high school.”

Along with playing for the school soccer team, Courtney plays on an Alliance team. By doing this she has improved her soccer skills beyond what she thought was possible.

“By playing on a club team it has taught me numerous things which would have remained oblivious to me otherwise,” Messer said. “Along with learning these new skills there is just a different feel to club, it is more intense. This is because all who play are soccer fanatics, making games twice as fun and exhilarating.”

It’s nice that I can observe her every move. Just watching her be apart of the whole entire game rather than working along side her is great. Yet it’s really hard to watch her and not tell her what to do since I am now a spectator and not a player, participating alongside my sister. –Mikayla Messer, ’14, Courtney’s older sister

Olivia Messer , ’18, has enjoyed playing with her sister while being apart from the school soccer team and hopes that the team can achieve great things.

“Playing with your sister on the field is a different experience,” Olivia said. “I play rec in the summer and you don’t know anyone, but being apart of this school soccer team with Courtney is just filled with more trust. I know how Courtney will think and it plays to our advantage.”

Senior and co-captain Gabriela Siqueiros is extremely thankful for the power and the skill which Courtney plays with as a mid-fielder and how she pushes the team to play their best.

“Well, so far I’ve had to rely quite a bit on Courtney due to our third captain {Ivette Ibarra} being injured,” Siqueiros said. “Courtney is a good captain, she inspires me and the team to push ourselves through the intensity with which she plays with. Along with her intensity her skill level and player awareness is superb, making her a perfect fit for the mid-fielder position.”

Alumna and jr. high yearbook teacher Mikayla Messer, ’14, has loved watching her sister play yet finds it to be a struggle to not coach her from the stands.

“It’s nice that I can observe her every move,” Mikayla said. “Just watching her be apart of the whole entire game rather than working along side her is great. Yet it’s really hard to watch her and not tell her what to do since I am now a spectator and not a player, participating alongside my sister.”

As season approaches for the Eagles, Messer is hopeful for a strong finish and maybe a first place ending in league.

“I am especially looking forward to our league games,” Messer said. “Hopefully with all of our pre-season games and conditioning we will be ready to take on Fowler and our other school rivals. This is going to be a great season and I want everyone reading this to come out and support us.”

For more sports, read the Dec. 12 article, Senior contributes leadership to campus athletics.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @J0sh_Carter.