One of FCS’ founding kindergarten teachers passes away

Mrs. Cookingham was one of the founding teachers at FC upon it's opening in 1977 and became the first K-2 teacher at Hume Lake Charter School at the age of 72.
[/media-credit] Mrs. Cookingham was one of the founding teachers at FC upon it’s opening in 1977 and became the first K-2 teacher at Hume Lake Charter School at the age of 72.

FC honors the life and memory of Melva Cookingham

On Jan. 13, 2015 at the age of 88, Mrs. Melva Cookingham, mother of four, wife, friend and FC kindergarten teacher for over 20 years, departed from this earth and was united with her Heavenly Father.

Mrs. Cookingham was born June 8, 1926, in Columbia Falls, Montana to Mr. and Mrs. Helen and Siebert Williamson. When she was six months old her family moved to Monmouth, Oregon.

Mrs. Cookingham graduated from Monmouth High School in 1943 and pursued higher education at Willamette University.

After graduating from Willamette in 1947, Mrs. Cookingham attended Columbia University, earning a master’s degree in music at age 24. She married Paul Cookingham after meeting him at Columbia on June 27, 1948 and together they moved to the Fresno area in 1953.

Mrs. Cookingham was one of the founding kindergarten teachers at FC upon it’s opening in 1977 and became the first K-2 teacher at Hume Lake Charter School at the age of 72. In 1985 she was declared Fresno County’s Mother of the Year by the Women’s Chamber of Commerce. Mrs. Cookingham also played an integral role in her local church,The Bridge, and became involved with several short term missionary endeavors throughout the years.

Previous first grade teacher, Gladys Kerfoot taught alongside Mrs. Cookingham and remained a close friend for 37 years. In addition to Mrs. Cookingham’s gentle sprit, and bold faith Kerfoot recalls a class tradition deemed ‘the beauty spot’.

“When you would watch her with her children she could always correct somebody over there but never do it in a harsh way,” Kerfoot said. “I remember she always had a place in her class called the beauty spot. It was a table that had a Bible on it and maybe some pretty flowers or a picture. Her relationship to God and her faith really stood out in her life. She lived what she believed.”

Mrs. Cookingham is survived by her three sons, Kent and wife Menta, Kevin and wife Kelli and Curtis and wife Pamela as well as eleven grandchildren and six great grandchildren. In December of 1970 Mr. Cookingham passed away followed by her son Mr. Craig Cookingham in August of 2010.

According to Kerfoot, any misfortunes in the life of Mrs. Cookingham paled in comparison to her positive attitude and compassion for others.

When you would watch her with her children she could always correct somebody over there but never do it in a harsh way. I remember she always had a place in her class called the beauty spot. It was a table that had a Bible on it and maybe some pretty flowers or a picture. Her relationship to God and her faith really stood out in her life. She lived what she believed. — Gladys Kerfoot about her friend Melva Cookingham

“Mrs. Cookingham was one of the most godly people I know,” Kefoot said. “I could talk to her about anything. She would pray about it. We would pray together. She had a lot of tragedy in her life yet she always had faith that God was going to take her through it all.”

Jim Wiens grew up a close friend with Mrs. Cookingham’s sons. Although he did not attend FC, he kept in close contact with the family for over 50 years and eventually sent his own children to be taught by Mrs. Cookingham.

Wiens describes Mrs. Cookingham as a kindhearted and reliable friend.

“She was kind and gracious,” Wiens said. “She impacted me as an example of a true believer. She ran the race well and finished strong. She was a solid testimony. … She was kind to people and very concerned with and kind to children. Mrs. Cookingham was faithful in friendship. She would be considered consistent and valued as a consoler. She was always kind.”

Jim Wiens children John Wiens, Mary Schramm and Sara Contreras have all graduated from FC and created families of their own. They still recall however, spending long hours at Mrs. Cookingham’s home at a young age and calling her by the affectionate title ‘Grandma Cookingham.’

“She had a really fun two-story house that she would let us play at when we were growing up and she always let us be creative and do adventurous things,” Mary said. “I remember she had a really amazing garden. She just let us play and be kids.”

Wiens says that Mrs. Cookingham always had a habit of keeping her guest’s plates full especially after a long day of play.

“I remember going to her house quite a bit when we were young,” Wiens said. “We loved playing up in her attic, sliding down the stairs and going swimming. She always put extra food on your plate and made you eat it even if you weren’t hungry. It was one of the funny things she did. She always wanted to make sure you had enough food.”

In addition to her teaching profession and church involvement, Mrs. Cookingham had a passion for gardening and for music. She taught piano for several years and often brought her musical expertise to the classroom.

“She was always playing the piano and always singing whether it was at her house or at school,” Wiens said. “I remember in kindergarten she would always give little performances and she would play the piano and sing for that. I definitely remember her love for music.”

For the Wiens family Mrs. Cookingham’s influence reached far beyond childhood. Schramm says that the kindergarten teacher and surrogate grandmother continued to take interest in her family and personal life up until her passing.

“She was passionate about relationships;” Schramm said “She was always very interested in what was going on with us and what was happening in our lives. Once I got married and had a family she was interested in knowing what was happening with each of my kids and with my husband.”

Although Superintendent Jeremy Brown did not know Mrs. Cookingham personally he expresses gratitude at her twenty years of service and of her unwavering pursuit of God’s will.

“Melva loved children and she loved teaching,” Brown said. “She always had time to counsel and encourage parents and staff. Her words of wisdom are remembered to this day. She was a woman of God trusting Jesus to lead and care for her needs and her life. She played a critical role in setting the standards and laying the ground work for future kindergarten teachers.”

A service celebrating the life of Mrs. Melva Cookingham is to be held at the The Bridge Fresno, 3438 East Ashlan Ave., Fresno, CA 93726, on Saturday, January 31, 2015, at 1 p.m. The family prefers that all remembrances be sent to Hume Lake Christian Camps, 5545 East Hedges, Fresno, CA 93727 instead of floral arrangements.

For more features, read the Jan. 28 article, Air quality affects campus, valley.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @skylerklee.