Career Fair: Professionals educate students

[/media-credit] Over 10 different speakers gave presentations on career choices and how to begin preparations for them in the 4th annual Career Fair, March 11.
In hopes of better educating campus students on different career paths, FC hosted the 4th annual career fair, March 11. Students attended three sessions throughout the afternoon followed by a meet and greet in the court yard.

The session included a variety of different speakers such as ABC 30 reporter Amanda Venegas, ultrasound technician Robyn Hill, superintendent Jeremy Brown, Engineering student Danielle St. Marie, NASA project manager Suzy Dodd, nurse Laura Sherfield, speech pathologist Christie Edmondson, Detective David Fries, CEO of High Tech Homes Jay Cobb, veterinarian Todd Conlan, occupational therapist Dorothy Siqueiros, and senior gas estimator Scott Belmont.

Aspiring engineer Breanna Jennings, ’15, says that she learned about the educational requirements and qualities an engineer should possess.

“I definitely went to the engineer session, they hardly ever have an engineer come and speak so I was really excited to learn about what it takes to be in that profession,” Jennings said. “It was awesome that she [Danielle St. Marie] is an alumni and was willing to come back and give us really helpful information.”

Venegas gave a session and Claire Kollenkark, ’16, looks forward to career day every year.

“Amanda’s session was really fun,” Kollenkark said. “She is like a local celebrity and she took time out of her day to teach us a thing or two about what she does. Now that I’m a junior, I realized how soon I’m going to be picking a career and it’s great that the school cares enough to put something like this on with so many different people to chose from.”

My favorite presentation was probably the veterinarian,” Counts said. “He was very friendly and not intimidating. He just laid all the information out and told us that this is what you choose to get into if you pursue this career. He helped me because I’ve been looking down the veterinarian path.  — Freshman Celeste Counts

Occupational Therapist Dorothy Siqueiros urges students to get a jump start on their career and connect with other people for the best educational and financial options available.

“I know that college has gotten really expensive over the years and I really hope kids out there know that there are people to talk to that have gone or are going through the whole process of earning their degrees,” Siqueiros said. “Talk to people and find out what process is going to work best for you. And I tell people all the time to go observe the job they wish to pursue while they’re still in high school, you can either rule it out or keep looking into it.”

Laura Sherfield, a nurse at Valley Children’s Hospital gives her advice to teens and insight on how her passion for nursing began.

“I first decided to pursue a career in nursing when I was really young,” Sherfield said. “My mom was a nurse also so I grew up around it and fell in love with it from the beginning. I tend to have more of a compassionate personality. I would advise you high school kids to get involved early in a hospital, job shadow, become an intern, and get a job as soon as possible to gain as much experience as possible.”

CEO of Forward Advantage Chris Roggenstein is happy with the diversity and serving opportunities the annual career day holds.

“I liked the diversity of the student service projects,” Roggenstein said. “It let students serve in a manner that they were gifted and hopefully with an attitude of serving God while serving their fellow man.”

Senior PG&E gas estimator Scott Belmont comments on the success that hard work and dedication could potentially bring to your career.

“I am a gas transition design engineer,” Belmont said. “I started working for PG&E 30 years ago on the end of a shovel and gradually worked my way up and took a lot of different positions and here I am now. When Michelle Warkentin called me to speak, I agreed because it’s great that people come in and give students a variety of different careers to look in to.”

Freshman Celeste Counts shared that she was drawn to the veterinarian in particular, due to her own interests in the trade.

“My favorite presentation was probably the veterinarian,” Counts said. “He was very friendly and not intimidating. He just laid all the information out and told us that this is what you choose to get into if you pursue this career. He helped me because I’ve been looking down the veterinarian path.”

Follow The Feather via Twitter @thefeather, Instagram @thefeatheronline and Facebook @thefeatheronline.
This writer can be reached via Twitter: @gaby_siqueiros.

For another news article read Campus families gather to support 32nd FC Auction