32nd Annual FCS Auction raises over $140,000

auction
[/media-credit] The 32nd annual FC Auction raised over $140,000 for Fresno Christian, March 14.

The 32nd Annual FCS auction is a highly anticipated event in which the generosity and close knit community is exemplified. Each year, families and FC enthusiasts look forward to the opportunity for a fun way to give back to the school which has touched their lives.

At the auction March 14, attendees were given a unique auction number and were able to bid upon different items including desserts, gift cards and donated items. Once dinner was served participants enjoyed a quick trailer of the upcoming April musical, Music Man.

Over the course of dinner the silent tables began to close and a raffle took place where attendees could win a variety of different hundred dollar prizes.

The highlight of the night, the live auction, offered a wide array of prizes. Prizes included everything from front row seats at the 2014-’15 graduation ceremony to signed helmets from Oakland Raider QB Derek Carr.

Every table at the auction sold out within weeks. The auction brought in a record breaking $140,000+. The money is used in multiple ways but is focused on filling the funding gap between tuition and the amount needed to operate the school.

Dr. Sam Hinton, father to Max Hinton, shares his impressions of this years auction and remembers attending his first auction for FC.

“I started volunteering at the auction when I was a sophomore at Fresno Pacific because that’s where they used to hold the auction,” Hinton said. “The auction this year is very intimate and elegant, I love how the auction brings in money and helps the community get together and remind each other why we support the school and what a great place it is.”

I have co-chaired the auction with Pete DeGroot for at least 10 years now. My favorite memory is when my girls to attended FC and now I get to watch my grandchildren grow up here. The whole thing has been a blessing and now I can give back because my kids are grown. I expect to net over $100,000 for the good cause of this school and help all the young people who attend here. –Marvel French, grandmother to Maddie and Maicy Luginbill, and FC Board member

Former history teacher Ellen King comments on the decorations and reminisces on the numerous years she spent teaching.

“The auction is decorated beautifully, I love the tables, the centerpieces, Chinese lanterns it’s all just so beautiful,” King said. “I have attended almost every auction, I honestly cannot remember not attending one. Coming to the auction makes me really miss the kids and teaching.”

Marvel French, grandmother to Maddie and Maicy Luginbill, comments on her favorite FC memories and shares her expectations for the 32nd annual auction.

“I have co-chaired the auction with Pete DeGroot for at least 10 years now,” French said. “My favorite memory is when my girls to attended FC and now I get to watch my grandchildren grow up here. The whole thing has been a blessing and now I can give back because my kids are grown. I expect to net over $100,000 for the good cause of this school and help all the young people who attend here.”

Nancy Weis, long time auction attendee, shares her first impressions of the auction.

“I have attended the auction for about 20 years, my children graduated from here and now my grandchild attend. We want to support this school because we love it and what it stand for,” Weis said. “We have a lot of great memories here, we met a lot of great people here at FC and my children made great friends. Coming in the auction just looks beautiful and it just feels likes its going to be a great night.”

Senior FC student, Collin Winegarden, came out to the auction to perform with his drama class. The class sang and danced to a portion of the Music Man, which will be debuting in April.

“I’m here for drama because we performed a dance from our upcoming musical Music Man,” Winegarden said. “I think it went well but we still have a little room for improvement. It was a good practice run for us because now we know what we have to work on.”

Superintendent Jeremy Brown talks about his first year at the auction as Superintendent. This experience has given him a new perspective on the event.

“I love interacting with the different families, it’s amazing how many people come out here to support. Its a full house, its a great lively events and everyone is here to support Fresno Christian Schools,” Brown said. “I went last year and didn’t really know many people because I was just hired. But this year it’s great because I know the community a lot better.”

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson.

For more features, read the March 16 article, Career Day: Professionals educate students, share experiences.