World of Sports: USA triumphs over Europe in Ryder Cup

Team USA ends eight year Ryder Cup win drought

8053947050_b9b0220689_b
[/media-credit] The Ryder Cup was played Sept. 30-Oct. 2.

Every two years, America and Europe face each other in a contest of golf. This tournament is known as the Ryder Cup. Dating back to 1927, it features two teams of 12 of the best players from both America and Europe.

The format of the tournament is as follows. On the first day, Friday, they play foursomes where it is teams of two against each other again, but they alternate each shot. they play four-ball where a team of two plays against a team of two and the team with the lowest scorer on each hole wins that hole.

On the Saturday, they play four-ball where a team of two plays against a team of two, and the team with the lowest scorer on each hole wins that hole. On the final day, Sunday, all 12 players play head to head singles. The lowest scorer on each hole wins that hole. If any hole is tied throughout the tournament, the points are halved.  

To win the cup, a team needs 14.5 points to win. Whoever wins at the end of their match wins a point for their team. If there is a tie, the point is halved.

This year the USA triumphed over Europe with a score of 17-11 at the Hazeltine National Golf Club in Minnesota. This was America’s first win since 2008. The captain for the USA was Davis Love III and Europe’s captain was Darren Clarke.

Stars for the USA included Phil Mickelson, Jordan Spieth and Rickie Fowler while the notable names list for Europe was led by Rory McIlroy, Justin Rose and Henrik Stenson.

8053947050_b9b0220689_b
[/media-credit] USA has won the Ryder Cup 25 times to Europes 13 victories.

For this cup, Patrick Reed was the heart and soul of team USA. He brought a winning attitude and set the tone for the US, who entered Sunday with 9.5 to 6.5 lead. Phil Mickelson and Sergio Garcia played head to head together on Sunday. Mickelson shot a ten under, but they still ended up tying. The match between the two was like two heavyweights standing toe to toe for all 18 holes.

Another fun, noticeable thing happened on the Thursday before the tournament officially started. An American fan was talking trash on two European players who were repeatedly missing a putt, saying he could make it. Justin Rose heard the American and bet him $100 he could not make it. Watch the American prove him wrong here.

The Ryder Cup was founded by Samuel Ryder and was first played in 1927 at Worcester Country Club in Worcester, Massachusetts. The USA won 9.5 to 2.5 and since then have won 25 times compared to Europe’s 13. The Ryder Cup originally was the Americans against the best of the British, but team Britain was expanded in 1979 to include the best players from all of Europe.

For last week’s world of sports read, World of Sports: National Championship front runners emerge.

This author can be reached via twitter @alexrurik23 and via email Alexander Rurik.