Rylee Schwab 1st on CIF Central Section goals leaderboard

Rylee+Schwab%2C+21%2C+holds+the+most+points+scored+by+any+player+in+the+league.+
Rylee Schwab, ’21, holds the most points scored by any player in the league.

MaxPreps ranks Schwab in top seven goal scorers in the state

This article is republished from the 2018-2019 school year. Check out other republished articles on the front page to view The Feather Online’s accomplishments from last year. Regular Feather publication will resume Aug. 26, however, look for intermittent articles and social media posts each day.

[/media-credit] Rylee Schwab, ’21, attacks the net in a game against Sierra High, Nov. 28. Schwab scored four goals, leading the Eagles to 5-0 victory.

Whether from a break away, set piece or cross, striker Rylee Schwab, No. 17, has put the ball in the net 45 times this season (Jan. 30). As a sophomore, she scores more than half of the Eagle’s goals, and has earned 25 more than the next highest scorer in the division.

With an undefeated league record, the campus girls soccer team currently ranks second in the CIF Division VI Central Section, according to Maxpreps. Despite graduating eight seniors in 2018, this year’s team secured the first girls soccer league title since 2005, Jan. 29.

The Eagles score more goals per game than any other team in Division VI, with an average of 4.2. Beyond shooting many of these, head coach Matt Markarian says that Schwab’s effort in practices and games helps the whole team perform better.

“The obvious impact is that she’s scoring a ton of goals for us and she’s currently leading the section in scoring,” Markarian said, “but she’s more than that. She shows up everyday and works as hard or harder than just about anybody on the team and is always encouraging everybody on the team to do better and to do their best. And looking to use her skills to make everyone around her better.”

In the following podcast, coach Matt Markarian discusses the impact Schwab has on this year’s team with Bryce Foshee.

Regardless of division, Schwab scores more often than any player in the Central Section, with 2.6 goals a game. She says that playing Division I competition early in the season has helped her succeed in league.

“I think the most important or memorable goal I scored this year was against Clovis East,” Schwab said. “Scoring against a D-I team gave me a boost of confidence and I’ll never forget the game.”

[/media-credit] Schwab fires a shot against Rosamond HS in the Division VI Valley Championship game, Feb. 23, 2018. With the league title clinched, Schwab hopes to succeed in this year’s’ postseason.

She started playing organized soccer in kindergarten, and competed on a team each year since. Her freshman year, she scored 32 goals. Even with years of experience, Markarian recognizes that Schwab continues to improve each week. He says her willingness to accept teaching is one reason for her success.

“Probably her best attribute is how coachable she is,” Markarian said. “We show her new things, new tricks, new techniques, new skills almost every day. She will watch one of us coaches do it once or twice, and she practices it once or twice, and she kind of has it down and is able to add it to her tool-belt and able to use it.”

Even in the games where Schwab scores one or two goals, the Eagles have earned a win 14 times this season. Despite injuries, fellow striker Bekah Micu, ’20, says their offensive has developed impressive teamwork.

“One of my favorite things about playing with Rylee is being able to play up top as a striker with her,” Micu said. “I love to work hard with her in games and at practice to build up a chemistry that every defense frets.”

The Feather Online tweeted after Schwab scored a season-best six goals.

As of Jan. 31, both the boys and girls soccer teams clinched league titles. The girls overcame perceived negative expectations with a team without seniors. Schwab shares her hopes for continued success in the postseason.

“The highlight of my season this year is just seeing how far we’ve come,” Schwab said. “Many people had low expectations for our team this year but we’ve proved them wrong and showed them that we are good enough to win league and have a good seed in playoffs. I hope to end the season great with my team.”

The Eagles play two more regular season games, a home match versus Laton and a non-league away game at Parlier. Come watch Schwab and the girls soccer team compete to maintain their undefeated league record at 6 p.m., Feb. 5.

For another article about underclassmen making leaderboards, read Freshman Tyus Parrish-Tillman tops national basketball leaderboard.

Bryce Foshee can be reached via Twitter @brycer_f and via email.