Column: Importance of news and media

[/media-credit] For News Engagement Day, Feather advisers (left to right) Greg Stobbe and Kori Friesen pass out flyers encouraging students to engage with The Feather Online, Oct. 1.

Happy News Engagement Day! Founded in 2014, News Engagement Day (NED) encourages people to read, watch and listen to the news. The founders of NED, AEJMC, is a national association of journalism who’s goal is to educate the public about the process, principles, and responsibilities of journalism.

Growing up, I never thought that news held importance in my life. It wasn’t until my junior year of high school when I joined The Feather Online, that my perspective on the world of news completely changed.

According to ideas.ted.com, independent press is one of the essential pillars of a democracy. The First Amendment in the US Constitution protects the freedom of religion, freedom of press, the right for people to peaceably assemble, and the freedom to petition the Government.

Starting on The Feather photojournalism team as a junior who knew nothing about photography or journalism, I felt that I didn’t meet the ‘requirements’ of a photojournalist. Feather advisers Greg Stobbe and Kori Friesen instill to the staff that anyone can be a journalist and report on the news around them.

Little did I know that getting involved in journalism would completely shift my perspective on the world of media and news. The opportunities that I have been given through The Feather have led me to fully trust in the power of news, and showed me just how much of an impact one story can have.

[/media-credit] The photojournalists on The Feather help provide visuals for the online paper and run social media accounts.

As the current photojournalism editor for The Feather, I strive to uncover stories through my photos to ignite change in my community. Whether I am shooting at a Fresno San Joaquin Town Hall or local War veterans, I always ask myself “What is the story I want my photographs to tell?”

The photojournalism team consists of six girls who have learned professional photography. They manage social media accounts and contribute all visuals for the high school’s online daily paper. Working together, they capture moments on and off campus to give people a glimpse into life at Fresno Christian.

News not only keeps us informed with events happening in our community, but it can give you a glimpse into what is taking place in our world.

To read more about News Engagement Day, read Students engage First Amendment rights through News Engagement Day, Oct. 1.

For more Feather photos, visit media, photos 2019-20.