“Stranger Things” star Joe Keery releases first album

Twenty Twenty sets new standard for indie rock

If you know anything about Netflix’s smash hit science-fiction horror series, Stranger Things, you are most likely familiar with all of its endearing characters. My personal favorite has always been Steve Harrington, played by Joe Keery.

[/media-credit] “Stranger Things” star Joe Keery released his first solo album entitled Twenty Twenty featuring songs such as “Roddy” and “Flash Mountain”.

Apart from his acting career, Keery contributed guitar and vocals to the psychedelic rock band Post Animal. He left the band due to scheduling conflicts and wanted to avoid drawing crowds solely to see him. I was never particularly fond of their music, but when Keery released his single, “Roddy”, under his new identity as Djo, I was pleasantly surprised.

After having “Roddy” on loop for months, I was very eager to hear more music from him. Little did I know he would release a full length album, Twenty Twenty, shortly after.

Twenty Twenty begins with a quick overture titled “Showtime”, which fills your ears with distant ambient noise and a haunting narration. The piece is mixed very well and transitions perfectly into the opening track.

The album officially starts with one of the best songs, “Personal Lies”. It’s got fantastic lyrics while depicting a mysterious girl Keery just can’t seem to catch. The drums, guitars and synths make this a flawless indie jam guaranteed to get anyone grooving.

“Tentpole Shangrila” contains some of the saddest, and most interesting lyrics on the record. He seems to be narrating from the perspective of a sibling, saying this fame has negatively impacted them and they have lost their familiar brother.

Continuing this perplexing narrative on fame, “Just Along for the Ride” adds to the story. He claims his anonymity is gone, but an alternate voice suggests that’s just what he wished for. After all this he just wants to rest, but “they” won’t let him.

I firmly believe that “Roddy” is all-around the best song on this album, including an easter egg reference to Stranger Things in one of the synth leads. It’s unclear who Roddy is, but it could be referring to a womanizer, someone who he doesn’t want to be around. This “Roddy” could be himself, as he refers to “the man in the mirror.” The song seems to be divided into two parts, with the first ending at the 2:40 mark. This choice is unique, and totally surprised me during my first listen.

The following tweet features a picture of Joe Keery playing the electric guitar.

“Mortal Projections” contains some of the coolest ambient instrumentals. Each sound contributes well harmonically, creating beautiful melodies. The main electric guitar is extremely compressed and distorted, and it pierces through the mix. All this comes to a beautiful end, where we hear Keery’s voice layered several times, creating some epic harmonies.

“Total Control” is completely different from the other songs, but fits right in. It’s extremely lo-fi, and very reminiscent of Jack Stauber. Fun, abstract sounds bounce around in the mix, and a whispering voice alternates from left to right, telling you to relax, and lean back. Totally cool.

All the chill vibes come to a close when “Flash Mountain” starts. This song features heavy guitars and fast drums. I don’t recommend listening to this while driving, because you’ll break every speed limit. The distorted, soaring guitar solos and cymbal crashes make you feel like you can run through a brick wall. It’s a fun song that adds a whole new dynamic to the album.

Overall, this album is fantastic. It fits perfectly into the indie, psychedelic rock genre, while still being unique and career defining. It’s really cool to see Keery branching out, and adding more to his resume. I see myself listening to this album for a long time, especially while waiting for the highly anticipated Tame Impala album.

For more music reviews, read Golden Hour draws attention with high accolades and Charlie Puth contributes refreshing presence to pop music in Voicenotes.

For more articles, read Community college free via California Promise Grant or Professionals, students share impact of social media on college admissions. 

Logan Lewis can be contacted via InstagramTwitter, and email.

[rwp_box id=”0″]