Fantasy Football Talk: Super Bowl Edition

Students discuss Super Bowl LIV, review previous games

[/media-credit] Kyle Clem, ’21, (left) discusses Super Bowl LIV alongside Richie Cortez, ’20, (center) and Bryson Graham, ’21, Jan. 27.

In a season that included broken records, countless upsets and a black cat on the New York field, the NFL’s centennial season reaches the climax. Super Bowl LIV kicks off from Miami, Florida, in a matchup that features one of the best offenses and defenses in the league.

The San Francisco 49ers square off against the Kansas City Chiefs, Feb. 2, in a potentially high scoring game.

During Conference Championship weekend, Kansas City put their offense on full display and closed a 10 point deficit in a matter of six minutes. While entering halftime, leading 21-17, Kansas City kept the pressure on their opponent.

While only allowing one more score the rest of the game, the Chiefs held on to win the game, 35-24, and return to the Super Bowl for the first time in 50 years.

The San Francisco 49ers entered the NFC Championship while facing a familiar opponent, the Green Bay Packers. San Francisco defeated Green Bay in a week 12 matchup that concluded with a final score of 37-8.

In this postseason rematch, San Francisco dominated, concluding the game with 285 rushing yards and 6.8 yards per rush. In the end, San Francisco won, 37-20, and advanced to the Super Bowl for the first time under head coach Kyle Shannahan.

Entering the championship, San Francisco boasts the second best defense in yards-per-game and eighth best in opponent points-per-game. On the other side of the ball, Kansas City features the fifth best offense in points-per-game and sixth best in yards-per-game. Chiefs coach Andy Reid returns to the Super Bowl for the first time since 2005. Meanwhile, Shannahan aims to redeem his infamous loss in Super Bowl LI while serving as the Atlanta Falcons’ offensive coordinator.

The following podcast features juniors Kyle Clem and Bryson Graham and senior Richie Cortez discussing the 2020 Super Bowl game.

Leave a comment in the section below and let us know who you think is going to win the Super Bowl!

Kyle Clem can be reached via Twitter @KyleClem5 and via email.

For more articles, read Hannah Villines uplifts basketball team, leads varsity players and Blog: Fantasy football talk, week No. 10.