Girls’ tennis becomes the first D III sport for FCS

Players grow in tennis and comradery while facing unprecedented challenges.

New year, new courts, new team, girls’ tennis is back at it again. As the only D III varsity team at Fresno Christian, the pressure is on. Pre-season has come and gone as the girls finished strong with a record of 2/2. The Eagles took their first victory of the season against the D I school, Bullard High.

[/media-credit] Games are typically Tuesday, Thursday, and practices Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

The team has no definite captains, however, returners like Sophia and Isabella Adams, ‘24, have risen to the occasion. The twins stepped up as natural leaders, guiding the team through the new season.

Sophia and Isabella share their expectations and hopes for the rest of their season.

“I don’t have any expectations because I don’t know what to expect, but we want everyone to have fun and enjoy the sport,” Sophia said. “but at the same time try really hard and show effort.”

Isabella said, “We’re at the bottom right now, so I hope everybody puts it all out there and tries new things.”

The team is coached by Daniel Jessing and Robert Foshee, both of which took over the program six years ago. When they began coaching, the tennis program was down on its luck, they had not won a match in four years but it was their goal to take that program and elevate it.

During the first stretch of growing the program, the real problem was finding enough girls to make a team. Two seasons prior only eight girls were apart of the team, the bare minimum required. This year, a total of 18 players joined together to make the biggest girls tennis team Fresno Christian has ever had.

Tennis is thought to be a solo sport, however, the girls of Fresno Christian prove that it is a team sport. The game teaches reliance and the team excels when everybody plays hard, they are responsible to hold each other accountable.

Coach Daniel Jessing is in awe of this current team and how they have grown in the past couple of weeks.

[/media-credit] Tennis may be an individual sport but each win or loss for the player impacts the final score.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen anything like it, this group of girls, in particular, is like an absolute family out there. Typically all through the day if you see tennis plays they’re all together,” Jessing said.

Freshman, Delaney Meyers, was new to the school but not to tennis. Meyers is a great example of the potential for the future of the program, ranked number six for the singles podium, she has gone above and beyond expectations.

Meyers has played in numerous tournaments and participated in the summer seasons at Copper River, as well as playing for the Granite Ridge Intermediate girls’ tennis team. Despite her prior experiences with other teams, she was adamant that neither team could compare to Fresno Christian.

“I feel like this team is really welcoming, and it creates an enjoyable atmosphere because we have gotten close within the last weeks,” Meyers said. “It’s been really fun to be out on the courts with these girls because they really are hilarious and loving and have been the best part of the sport.”

Joining the team has been a blessing for most, but it causes the time to leave that much harder.
Senior Summer Foshee has been a part of this program since her freshman year.

[/media-credit] Summer Foshee, ’23, excels in academics as well as in sports.

Foshee saw firsthand how the program has flourished in the past years and has been a big part of the reason it has grown immensely.

“When I go away to college, I will really miss the camaraderie our team has. I love seeing members of our team recognize and praise each other’s progress,” Foshee said. “By the end of the season, every player can say they belong to a close-knit family.”

Playoffs begin for the lady eagles on October 25, 2022, so make sure to go out and support your Fresno Christian girls tennis team!

To read more Feather articles go to Girls tennis senior night and Double the talent with the Adams duo.

Danielle Arndt
Danielle Arndt, Editor
Second-year journalist, Danielle Arndt, ‘26, continues her journey as a returning writer for The Feather Online. Arndt believes in the importance of integrity, dedicating herself wholly to whatever she puts her mind to. Self-proclaimed movie enthusiast, she loves immersing herself in the cinematic world, hiding from reality. Writing has always been the way she could express herself and the stories living rent-free in her mind. Arndt aspires to be an author, she cannot hold her excitement to grow in the fields of journalism.