Changes Around Campus

School beefs up security while waiting on construction delays

As FC students and staff head into the ’23-24 school year, more changes have been implemented on the school’s campus because of the Momentum campaign. Some alterations that were going to be prepared over the summer have been postponed, including the new modules for the math classes, the removal of the northwest playground, as well as additional parking.

After a year of construction, elementary students get to enjoy the new playground. (Benson Elbert)

Superintendent Jeremy Brown explains some of the upcoming changes. 

“The northwest playground will be removed, there will be additional parking all the way across,” said Brown. “Then we’ll move the existing room behind [that space].”

Brown believes that funding will not be a problem. However, there was a setback when the construction of the new playground took an extra year to be built. Despite the delay, there have been successful changes over summer break, involving the safety of students and staff.

Due to parental concerns, security cameras in the elementary and high school buildings along with security guards on campus are a new addition. A buzz-in system was added to the elementary building ensuring no one can walk on campus uninvited. 

Elementary teacher, Sara Karlson, explains how she is grateful for the new security guards.

“I really like having a security officer on campus because it’s another set of eyes on kids,” said Karlson. “It also provides more overall safety for the entire campus.”

Along with security guards, there has been the addition of a minimum of five security cameras in each of the main buildings. (Benson Elbert)

The recent security changes were supposed to be in phase 3 but were moved into phase 2. This resulted from an off-campus

pedestrian walking into Building Five in broad daylight last year. Each phase is a series of campus improvements that are collectively part of the Momentum campaign. 

Brown hired Chief of Security Paul Ganzenhuber, who was recommended by PC pastor Matt Markarian. Ganzenhuber had already been working for People’s Church for the last three years. 

Paul Ganzenhuber stands guard on school grounds to insure the safety of the student body. (Benson Elbert)

Security concerns were also highlighted when a hostile man walked into the People’s Church office and was verbally aggressive. There was nobody to escort him off the property, forcing the administration to realize they needed to hire a security team. 

Hiring security to be on campus during the school day is part of the solution.

“They eventually hired us to hopefully prevent anything from happening in the first place after this incident,” Ganzenhuber said.

With the Monumental campaign being implemented on our school’s campus, FC students and staff will continue to see changes on campus in the years to come.

To read more visit What is the Momentum campaign? or New teachers welcomed for 2023-24 school year

About the Contributors
Natalya Mananian
Natalya Mananian, Journalist
First-year journalist and videographer, Natalya Mananian, ‘26, is excited to join The Feather. Mananian aims to widen her skill set and foster community through the newspaper. She enjoys playing volleyball and playing music. Natalya is hopeful that by the end of the year, her teamwork and communication skills will broaden and improve. 
Owen Gainer
Owen Gainer, Journalist
Owen Gainer, ‘25, is a first time Feather Staffer. He was born and raised in Fresno, California. Gainer strives to learn more about photography and become a stronger writer. After high school, Owen wants to become a deep sea welder but in the meantime he works at Charles McMurray Company. You can find Owen on the golf course or riding motocross in the desert.   
Ian Palsgaard
Ian Palsgaard, Journalist
Ian Palsgaard is a Junior who reports for The Feather online. He is the captain of the Fresno Christian Cross country team who aims to run in college. Ian believes talent is meaningless without hard work. He is looking forward to all the connections he can make well being a part of The Feathers team. On Most days after school, you can find him at Kuppa Joy enjoying a game of chess. 

Benson Elbert
Benson Elbert, Photojournalist
Benson Elbert, ‘26 is an aspiring first year photojournalist for The Feather. Elbert aspires to improve his writing and photography skills with help from the team. He has worked in his family's breakfast restaurant, Batter Up Pancakes,  since he was a kid. Elbert has also led the campus through the leadership class since his freshman year, hoping to continue to lead till senior year. After high school he aspires to be a computer programmer and design videogames.