PROMO: Girls Soccer team readies for season kickoff

Lady Eagles hope to snatch league and section title

The temperatures are cooling. The leaves are changing colors. And it’s time for the kick-off of the girls 2023-2024 soccer season.

Last year’s Varsity girls’ soccer team buckled down and maintained an undefeated streak in their regular league season. The undefeated team pushed through until they made it to the CIF Central Valley D4 Semi-finals against Lompoc. The game devastatingly ended in a close loss of 3-2 on Feb. 21. This team was an undefeated D4 team that made it all the way to the valley championships two seasons ago.

Matthew Markarian remains the JV and Varsity girls’ teams head coach for seven consecutive years. Markarian holds high goals for this season as he and his team look to win their 5th league title in a row and a section title. 

Markarian explains what he enjoys about teaching and coaching the girls soccer team.

“The thing I love most about this team is how much fun we have,” Markarian said. “This group works exceptionally hard, and they really know how to have fun.” 

This season the girls will add the Player Data’s GPS tracker vests to the uniforms. The vests will track distance, high intensity runs, and top speed. The team made the addition to keep track of the girl’s progress and to encourage hard work on the field.

This year’s girls team consists of four team captains, including: Kennedy Wyatt ‘25, Kegan Brunnemann, ’24, Emma Connolly, ‘24, and Miracle Neal, ‘24.

One of the four team captains, Kegan Brunnemann, ’24, expresses what she believes she and her teammates will face this season.

“Our biggest challenge for this upcoming season is going to be being able to play like a team,” Brunnemann said. “Being able to set all outside things aside, whether that be feelings towards other people, conflict with people, etc, is going to be something that we need to work on in order to have a successful season like we are hoping for.”

Make sure to go out and support our girls team this season, starting with their first scrimmage against Sanger Tuesday night at home.

Miracle Neal

Girls Soccer Schedule

• Nov. 7 Sanger (Home) @ 4:00
  • Nov. 14 Bullard (Home) @4:00
  • Nov. 21 Nipomo (Home) @6:00
  • Nov. 29 Avenal (Home) @4:00/6:00
  • Dec. 1-2 Buchanan tournament (Away) @TBD 
  • Dec. 8-9 Paso Robles Tournament (Away) @TBD
  • Dec. 11 Kingsburg (Away) @4:00/6:00 
  • Dec. 13 Clovis West (Home) @4:00
  • Dec. 16 San Luis Obispo (Away) @TBD
  • Dec. 28 Immanuel (Home) @TBD
  • Jan. 6 NWSL vs NYL Shootout (Away) @9:00am

League

• Jan. 12 Caruthers (Home) @3:30/5:00
  • Jan. 16 Parlier (Away) @3:30/5:00
  • Jan. 19 Yosemite (Away) @4:00/5:45
  • Jan. 23 Fowler (Away) @5:45/4:00
  • Jan. 26 Riverdale (Home) @3:30/5:00
  • Jan. 30 Minarets (Home) @3:30/5:00
  • Feb. 2 Liberty (Away) @4:15/6:00 
  • Feb. 6 Chowchilla (Home) @3:30/5:00
  • Feb. 8 Sierra (Home) @5:00

To read more from The Feather visit: PROMO: Fall Rally boosts school spirit or State championship within reach for girls volleyball.