#SJW2015: Importance of Scholastic Journalism Week (Video)

Chloe
[/media-credit] Juniors Rees Roggenstein and Chloe Mueller share in assembly the importance of scholastic journalism, Feb. 23.
Publication students throughout the nation will be celebrating the art of Journalism during Scholastic Journalism Week, Feb. 22-28. This yearly event, sponsored by the Journalism Education Association (JEA) was created to raise student awareness about their First Amendment rights and civic responsibility.

Scholastic Journalism Week is used to promote the efforts of high school journalism students throughout the nation. This year the JEA has chosen “Our Staff at Work” as the logo to motivate people to see the efforts of student publications and The Feather staff wants to share the importance of scholastic journalism.

National Scholastic Journalism Week was created for the support of the First Amendment which states, “Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.”

Editor-in-Chief Chloe Mueller gives insight into the celebration of Scholastic Journalism Week and student publications throughout the nation.

“Throughout the school year, various journalism-centered events occur, but this particular event is unique,” Mueller said. “This week delves a layer deeper into journalism and what it means by exploring the First Amendment and its role in the realm of publications.”

National Scholastic Journalism Week was created for the support of the First Amendment which states, ‘Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.’

The Feather will be taking a student survey asking what the campus would like to see on The Feather and will include the results in an info-gram. This year in honor of promoting journalism week, The Feather staff has also created a hashtag for Twitter: #FCJW as well as #SJW2015 which will appear on The Feather’s Storify. Please share why the First Amendment is important to students’ voices today.

To ensure that the school is staying up to date with journalism week, The Feather is putting on a friendly competition. The campus student who tweets and includes #FCJW the most this week, will win a $15 gift card of their choosing.

This writer can be reached via Twitter: @_sarapeterson.

For more videos, check out Girls soccer hosts Frazier Mountain for D-VI championship (Video).