Catch the Christmas spirit with local events

After a week off for Thanksgiving break, students return to school and the countdown to Christmas begins, Nov. 28. Throughout the month of December, there are numerous events and activities to attend in Fresno and Clovis. 

Fresno Christian Activities:

[/media-credit] The Lessons and Carols choir concert will be performed at Redemption Bible Church, Dec. 12, at 7 p.m.

Interested in Christmas music? The Lessons and Carols choir concert consists of 18 songs performed by men’s and women’s ensemble and middle and high school choir.

Lessons and Carols Choir Concert, Dec.12, 7 p.m., at Redemption Bible Church.

Donating to the Canned Food Drive is a great way to connect with your community and work together to help end the hunger of those who can’t afford groceries.

Some items you can donate:

-grains

-beans

-canned meat and fish

-pasta

Canned Food Drive, Nov. 9

Traditionally, on the last day of school, each class is shortened to 15 minutes and students dress up in pajamas to watch a movie after seventh period. This year, students voted to watch Mr. Poppers Penguins. There will be free pancakes given out to students that bring new stuffed animals for the Stuffed Animal Drive prior to the movie.

Movie and Pancakes Day, Dec. 16

Holiday Lights worth seeing:

Since 1920 Christmas Tree Lane’s classic holiday decorations and tall pine tree-strung lights welcome visitors from all over the Valley. Located near Fig Garden Village, the drive stretches 2 miles from Shields to Shaw on Van Ness Blvd. with greetings from Santa at the end of the route. Traditionally there have been a few walk nights throughout the month but those have not returned since the pandemic.

Christmas Tree Lane: Sunday-Thursday, 6 p.m.-10 p.m., Friday-Saturday, 6 p.m.-11 p.m.

For more information visit their website

Clovis’s Candy Cane Lane brings thousands of visitors every year to over-the-top light displays. Over 100 homes volunteer yearly to participate in this annual festivity. If you head this direction be sure to roll down those windows with a warm cozy drink and enjoy the sights and sounds of Christmas.

[/media-credit] Visitors enjoy the festively decorated houses as they walk through candy cane lane.

Candy Cane Lane Walk Nights: Dec. 1-25, 6-10 p.m.

Another unique event that attracts many people from the community is the Holi-Drones Christmas Themed Light Show. This event consists of hundreds of drones programmed together to create a spectacular illusion in the sky.

Holi-Drones Christmas-Themed Light Show: Dec. 6-8 from 6-8:30 p.m. at The Clovis Rodeo Fairgrounds.

Family fun events: 

Did you know Ballis Glass offers a two-hour class that teaches you to create your own ornament? At this special event, you and your family will learn how to add colors to molten glass and inflate it using your breath. Tickets are $45 per person and there is a maximum of 14 people allowed in each class. 

To make reservations call Ballis Glass at 559-412-4144

Make Your Own Christmas Ornaments, Dec. 17, 9 a.m.-6 p.m. at Ballis Glass. 

Old Town Clovis began as a lumber mill town in the early 1900s. Although competing with large shopping centers has been a challenge for Clovis, actions have been taken to keep the visions of its founders, while improving the small-town atmosphere. Some of the renovations include old-fashioned street-lamps, cobblestone intersections and charming storefronts. To keep traditions alive, Clovis offers free horse-drawn carriage rides during the Christmas season.

Old Town Clovis Carriage Rides: Friday-Sundays, 1-4 p.m. and Dec. 2, 9, 16, 18, 5-8 p.m.

Live performances:

Looking for some entertainment this Christmas season? Then head on over to Riverdale Assembly of God to watch the Living Nativity. This production is put together by more than 200 cast members and several live animals to more accurately portray the virgin birth. Another performance that may interest you is The Nutcracker. This play is a two-act ballet that shares a fictional story about a little girl who befriends a nutcracker. Her new friend comes to life and together they battle the evil mouse king.

Riverdale Assembly of God Living Nativity: 6-9 p.m., Dec. 22-25. 

The Nutcracker, Dec. 10, 2-6 p.m. at Double Tree by Hilton Hotel Fresno.

To read more from The Feather visit Momentum Campaign second phase: new classrooms.

To purchase photos visit smugmug.