2022-23 Year In Review

Students reminisce on the achievements of the year and look forward to the success to come.

In the duration of the school year, students of Fresno Christian encounter the high school experience.  From sports practices to academics, club meetings to performing arts the year is jam-packed with events keeping the campus engaged. Each of these moments are captured by The Feather team, their commission to preserve them online through the recourses of the online newspaper and social media. With the closure of yet another captivating year, The Feather reflects on the 2022-23 school year.

Leadership events

[/media-credit] Senior king candidates perform in the annual lip sync competition.

Homecoming

Dreaming Through the Decades marked the 37th annual Fresno Christian Homecoming. The night was a success all around, with an Eagles victory 48-14 and a triumphant fundraiser for the Poverello House. Each grade level was responsible for creating a float for the annual competition, the Sophomore class took first with their 1950s-inspired diner. Each grade level voted on their homecoming royalty and the results were revealed at half-time.

Senior King – Andrew Scully

Senior Prince – Aidan Munoz

Senior Queen – Brandy Penberthy

Senior Princess – Zoe Bull

Junior Princess – Serenity Cortez

Sophomore Princess – Julia Castiglione

Freshman Princess – Jordyn DeGroot

Sadies

The 2022 Sadie Hawkins excursion planned by student leadership was held at the Santa Cruz Boardwalk. Students and their date dressed as an occupation of their choice.

Formal

[/media-credit] Girls dress their best for A Night Under the Stars.

Fresno Christian high school students enjoy A Starry Night for the annual formal held in the spring of 2023. This year it was hosted at Buena Vista Event Center. Each grade was tasked with remaking a familiar favorite film that was screened at the event. Staff voted the junior class’ Despicable Me as Best Picture of the night.

Freshmen- Tangled 

Sophomores- Napoleon Dynamite 

Juniors- Despicable Me

Seniors- The Little Rascals

[/media-credit] Senior, Annabelle Counts helps out at the graffiti clean up during serve day.

Serve Day

For the 15th year, students came together in camaraderie for Serve Day. High school volunteers in various locations including: on campus, Central California Food Bank, Reading Heart, Graffiti cleanup and park cleanups. 

Rally

Leadership at Fresno Christian welcomes back rallies after a four-year hiatus. The theme consisted of music genres, each grade representing a different category. Students dressed up and participated in games, the Senior class took first place in the overarching competition.

Freshmen- Country 

Sophomores- Pop

Juniors- Rock ‘n’ Roll

Seniors- Rap

Athletics

Fall

Cheerleading

Coached by Hope Villines, the cheer team overcame unfortunate circumstances. The girls’ competed in multiple competitions despite unexpected injuries. The seniors were given the opportunity to cheer at the Georgia Peach Bowl

[/media-credit] Fresno Christian boys football won all their home games.

Football

Continuing their streak of excellence, the football team once again finished the season undefeated, just as they did in 2021. Their determination paid off as they claimed the title of CIF Central Section 8-man Champions led by Coach Mick Fuller

Girls Tennis

Girls tennis entered into the season victorious from the year before and ready for new competition after being bumped up into division 4. Coached by Robert Foshee and Daniel Jessing, the girls emerged as undefeated league champions for the 2022 girls’ tennis season. 

[/media-credit] Girl’s Volleyball won the CIF Championship.

Girls Volleyball

Under the skillful guidance of Steve Guglielmana, the girls’ volleyball team shattered all expectations by winning Valley Championships and securing a spot in the state playoffs. They were knocked out in the first match of the playoff games.

Cross Country

The girls’ cross country team achieved a qualifying position in the CIF State Championships. In contrast, the boys’ faced a different situation because they lacked the required number of students to qualify for the state championship race. Collectively, the students took part in a total of 15 races.

Winter

Boys Basketball

The team had an impressive year, successfully reaching the first round of playoffs, although they failed to surpass the premier game of playoffs.

[/media-credit] Lewis Monroe, ’23 leads the boys’ basketball team to multiple wins throughout the season.

Girls Basketball

Under the guidance of Coach Foshee and Coach Wilkinson, the team experienced a remarkable accomplishment as four of its players received prestigious awards, securing the first and second “All League” recognitions. 

Boys Soccer

The soccer team experienced significant growth throughout the season with encouragement from Coach Jacob Binum. The leadership of Senior Team Captains Jakob Reiker and Micah Temple played a pivotal role as they dedicated themselves to mentoring the younger players, ensuring they were well-prepared for the upcoming season.

Girls Soccer

The girls’ soccer team fought for an undefeated record in league play becoming the league champions for their division. In collaboration with numerous underclassmen and juniors, the team exhibited potential that will help seasons to come.

Spring

[/media-credit] Boys’ tennis finish the season strong winning the CIF Central Section Championship.

Boys Tennis

After a season of very hard work, the boys sent their seniors off with a ring for their last year. The team snagged the D4 CIF Central Section Championship title. They hope to continue their win streak and move up a division this season.

Boys Volleyball

Under the guidance of Coach Steve Guglielmana, the team demonstrated remarkable progress despite having only played for two seasons. They successfully reached the section final playoffs, although they eventually faced a challenging defeat after putting up a valiant fight.

Baseball

[/media-credit] Baseball season was a hit!

The boys’ baseball team is a blend of Fresno Christian students and homeschoolers. Collaboratively, they enjoyed a season filled with memorable events and achievements, successfully advancing to the playoffs. 

Softball

The girls team experienced a triumphant season, securing a spot in the playoffs under the leadership of team captain Rachel Martin, 24’. The girls displayed dedication throughout the season, even with a new

coach at the helm, Marilyn Greene. Although the season concluded with a loss, the team celebrated some well fought wins.

[/media-credit] Ian Palsgaard, ’25 competes in the Division Four Championship.

Track and Field

Out of the 12 track and field athletes, 7 have qualified for the Division IV Championships. Making FCS history, two girls secured state titles in the ambulatory division for the very first time.

Golf

The golf team faced initial challenges at the start of the season. However, as the season unfolded, the team found unity and camaraderie, and participated in multiple tournaments locally. 

Academics

New Students

This year Fresno Christian welcomed 64 new students to the school of all grade levels.

[/media-credit] Senior, Emily Hall, along with other students, is recognized for her dedication to CSF.

Graduation: The class of 2023 consisted of 56 seniors, 10 lifers, having attended Fresno Christian their whole lives. Of that class 36 participated in the California Scholarship Federation, and were honored with special tassels and certificates. This class collectively were offered over $500,000 in scholarships. 

New Teachers

Carrie Dixon recently joined Fresno Christian and teaches both sophomore and senior English classes, both regular and accelerated curricula. In addition to her role in the high school, Dixon also led the middle school yearbook. 

Stephanie Hoffman has dedicated herself to teaching at Fresno Christian Elementary for 7 years. She has recently undertaken the responsibility of instructing both AP and regular English to high school students. In addition to her English courses, Hoffman also supervises the coding class and even leads the crochet club.

Lindsey Clarno assumes the role of the new band instructor for both middle school and high school levels. With her leadership, the band program has experienced a significant increase in its enrollment, nearly doubling its membership. 

Clubs

CSF

Fresno Christian reached a remarkable milestone during the academic year 2022-2023 with the highest number of graduating seniors ever to be part of the California Scholarship Federation. This group was celebrated at a VIP banquet and during the graduation ceremony, where their achievements were acknowledged alongside the customary tassels and cords.

Chess Club

The Chess Club maintained its tradition of weekly gatherings led by Jacob Pimentel. The club met twice a week in Jacob Cantu‘s Biology classroom, and engaged in friendly competitions against one another.

Book Club

Guided by Rachel Moate and Ruby Baker, students congregated on Fridays to share their love for literature and engage in social interactions. The club members enjoy discussing various genres of books and relished the added delight of Moate’s baked goods during their gatherings.

[/media-credit] Freshman, Matthew Tacchino participates in dramas spring performance.

Performing Arts

Drama

Under Susan Ainley, the theater program not only excelled but also surpassed expectations with each of its performances. The students dedicated themselves wholeheartedly to create a memorable winter production titled “The Best Christmas Pageant Ever” and a captivating spring musical “The 25th Annual Putnam Spelling Bee.”

Choir & Women’s Ensemble

Susan Ainley currently leads both the Choir and women’s ensemble. Ainley guides students through performances at concerts, competitions, and even made a notable appearance in Anaheim. In addition, the team also attended a competition at Cal Poly receiving highest honors. 

Band

Under the guidance of Lindsey Clarno, the Band comprised a harmonious blend of Middle School and High School students. Their dedicated practices translated into cohesive performances that showcased their collective talent. Performing for various occasions, including Fresno Christian Football games, marching events, and even the jazz ensemble.

Publications:

Staff

[/media-credit] The Feather presents the 2022-23 school year staff.

Advised by Kori James, The Feather team consisted of 26 students, specially trained in the fields of journalism, photojournalism, and videography. Several of the staffers got the opportunity to attend the NSPA journalism convention in San Francisco. 

Senior Editors- Amanda Johnson and Emma Calderon 

Photo Editors- Taylor Becksworth and Aubrey Graham 

Video Editor- Micah Friesen

Yearbook 

The theme of the 2022-’23 yearbook was Renew. Senior Editors Mariah Regalado, Dylan Tozlian, Grace Kahrimanian, and Rachel Moate worked together alongside Advisor Melanie Portwood to publish this collection of memories.

To read more from the feather visit 8 must reads this fall or First football game honors Maui wildfire victims. 

About the Contributors
Danielle Arndt
Danielle Arndt, Editor
Second-year journalist, Danielle Arndt, ‘26, continues her journey as a returning writer for The Feather Online. Arndt believes in the importance of integrity, dedicating herself wholly to whatever she puts her mind to. Self-proclaimed movie enthusiast, she loves immersing herself in the cinematic world, hiding from reality. Writing has always been the way she could express herself and the stories living rent-free in her mind. Arndt aspires to be an author, she cannot hold her excitement to grow in the fields of journalism.
Chloe McDonald
Chloe McDonald, Editor
First-year journalist Chloe McDonald, ‘24, is excited to begin her writing journey with The Feather Online. Chloe values teamwork and helping the campus stay informed. Chloe enjoys art of all mediums and serving her school through leadership class, with all glory to God. In her free time, she can often be found painting, lifeguarding, or walking her dog.
Kori James
Kori James, Adviser

Adviser, educator, photographer and all around adventure lover, Kori James is always up to something.  Partnering with adviser Greg Stobbe in 2014, James helped to advance the award-winning online newspaper with a new design and digital media curriculum. James specializes in training up young professionals utilizing her experiences as a pro photographer. In her free time you can find her spending time with her family usually cooking up something amazing.